Saving the memory of dead computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...

My computer is dead... power supply is gone. Can anyone tell me how to recover data from the dead computer to an external drive? Please note I can not turn the computer on. It'd have to be from the internal drive to an external.. how do i do it? HELP ME! Thanks. :D

Remove the hard drive from the malfunction computer and connected it to a working computer. Or you can purchase an HD enclosure depending upon what type of HD you have ( sata or IDE) and simply connect this via USB to anything computer. You should be able to see the hard drive and grab any information off of it.

You cannot do it without power, unless you become very lucky.
If you have Windows XP, you cannot move the drive to another computer. Windows XP will detect that it has been moved into a different configuration, and then it will not run. But you can migrate the files off of it, if you have another drive.
Unfortunately, you cannot remove the files unless the drive is spinning. The drive needs power to spin.
So first thing you do is install either a borrowed old power supply, or a new power supply... leaving the hard drive in the computer where it was.
Power supplies can be had for as low as $35 new, or $10 refurbished.
Tell us more about what happened.

i've done that a thousand times just add the hhd as a slaved hhd on another computer and copy the files from it

and then do whatever you want

you can just replace the psu....

i disagree- you can put it as 2nd drive internal

the comp won't try to boot from it when it is 2nd drive.
then you just read and copy the files.

You can set it to slave and/or force the computer by configuring to BIOS to not boot from that hard drive. On the other hand you can just purchase an external enclosure. In any event, I hope this works out for you Crazy_Girl

Row1 said:
i disagree- you can put it as 2nd drive internal
the comp won't try to boot from it when it is 2nd drive.
then you just read and copy the files.

I agree with your disagreement lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back