SB Audigy 2ZS Recording issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable than me can give me a hand.

I recently bought a microphone so I could talk to my gf using VoIP while she's studying abroad in Germany. The first one I bought seemed to record very quietly. Even with the microphone bar in "play control" set at max, and the +20dB boost checked, the playback was still very quiet. I thought it was the microphone, so I returned it and bought a different brand. Same problem. She says she can barely hear me.

I did a search on this forum, it seems someone has had this problem before (it was in 2004). His question wasn't answered, hence my post.

My computer is a Dell with an SB Audigy 2 ZS [DC80] sound card. I have two ports for a microphone (one in the front, one in the back (a pink one)), but the playback is about the same on both.

I'm no pro at computers. I barely know what to ask for as a solution. Is there a realtime mic gain booster I can download. Maybe a different version of the sound card driver, or something else?

Any help is appreciated,
Jeff

Your card is the oem version of the Creative SB0358
There are no Dell drivers I can find for that card. Try these from Creative:

http://us.creative.com/support/down...&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=14&y=12

Since you have an oem card they may not work. You could try to get the CD software from Dell if Creative's don't work (which happens alot lately)
What you would ask for is the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Driver/Software kit, SB0358
Your service tag # should be on file with them

Ohhhh boy...

First, I want to thank you for your help kpo6969. What you told me was probably right, but I screwed it up.

So starting this afternoon, my computer has been crashing pretty constantly, due to a bad driver somewhere. By now, I'm almost positive it's my sound drivers, but it could be Skype. The blue screen of death tells me to check new hardware and software (but I dont know how to check, or what to do even if I did...)

Anyway, in between crashes, I downloaded the drivers in the link you sent me. Upon trying to install it, it kept running into 'Error 6003'. It told me to close all programs, empty my Temporary file and try again. I did so, it didn't work. I found that it was extracting itself into the temporary file, and would hit the error when it tried to setup.

This is where I'm pretty sure I screwed up...

I explored the extracted files, and found a folder for just the drivers. Since setup wouldnt work, I tried just installing the drivers. My computer didn't take kindly to it, and crashed again.

Now I have the computer up and running, but I no longer seem to have the Creative sound control program, and the feature that cuts off sound to my speakers when I insert headphones is gone. Now it just splits power between them. I cant even retry the setup, because the extraction process fails about halfway through now.

Would trying the CD's from Dell that you mentioned possibly fix it? Hopefully I don't need to system restore, as I'm bad about backing up, and I'm worried that if I back up my stuff now, I'll carry the bad drivers over to the reestored system.

If you're still willing to help me, I'd appreciate it very much.

-Jeff

Hmmm, well, it crashed again, but after restarting, setup in the Temp file worked. I still can't find the Creative sound control program anywhere (maybe I don't get it with the upgraded drivers?)

The switching feature that cuts off sound to the speakers works again, but it's not as seamless as it used to be. It cuts off power to the speakers now, starts sending to the headphones, then pauses for a second, then keeps sending to the headphones. The pause is also present when the headphones are unplugged. I can live with it, just as long as the crashing stops.

Who knew such a seemingly simple issue of quiet recording could balloon like this? All over a girl too, go figure ;-)

If you think getting those CD's from Dell would let me restore my sound drivers and programs (including the Creative control thing) to how they were before all this goofyness, let me know. The upgraded drivers aren't really any better at amplifying the sound from my mic (shrug). I'll just cup my hand over my mouth to send more sound into the mic.

And just for the record, I'm in no way upset you, kpo, for the crashing. It started before I ever read your message. I just wanted to add that in case you thought it was your fault or something, so as not to discourage you from helping others in the future.

(EDIT)... Ugh, it crashed again... I don't know what keeps causing it but that's like the 20th time today

Let's start over with a clean slate.
download the driver from Creative (only the driver), save it on your desktop
delete sound card from device manager-right click, delete (check the box to delete driver also)
go to control panel and un-install any Creative programs
re-boot your system
dis-able your anti-virus program
install driver from desktop
re-boot again

It should at least say your product isn't supported, if so go back to on-board audio till maybe you get disk from Dell
Here's your on-board driver
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=3&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=150155

Sorry for not following up. My computer got progressively worse to the point that it was unusable. Someone told me I had a RAM leak, which caused a cascading failure or something like that. I've been in contact with Dell, and almost have this thing working right again.

My gf decided to just turn up her volume when she's talking to me, to avoid starting this all over again. Cut my losses and all.

Thanks again for your help kpo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back