sb live and stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am having problems with stuttering on my sb live! value card. this has started after i switched motherboards to a soyo kt333 dragon plus. now it stutters during playback on media player and to a lesser extent in winamp. it stutters whether playing mp3's or cd's. it does not crackle or make static noises like a lot of other people with the via chipsets and the sb live boards experience. this is a stutter, like a pause in the playback that lasts maybe half a second. like if someone is saying the word "playback", it will stutter like this: "plaaaaaaaaayback". this is going to drive me nuts because i upgraded my system so i
can make songs more efficiently. but if this thing is going to do this, i might as well go back to my p-3/550.

the weird thing is, the sound does not stutter in the game i am re-playing through, "unreal". but it does stutter in media player 8 and winamp!

machine:
soyo dragon kt333 plus
256mb kingston value ram
athlon 2100+ retail (not overclocked)
hercules prophet 4500 agp
sb live value pci
creative labs 52x cdrom
two maxtor hd (main is 60 gb and is NTFS)
windows xp pro sp1

the sb live is on its own irq. it is in pci slot 2. i tried switching slots to slot 3 and the pc won't boot up there. i tried slot 4, and its the same problem. i have no other pci cards in the machine. the onboard audio and lan are disabled in the bios. windows shows no conflicts. i also tried the via 4-in-1 driver update. i am running the latest live value driver from creative labs.

can anyone help or make some suggestions?

thanks

I have the latest 4-in-1 via driver, soundblaster live and guillemot prophet drivers. the thing is, why does it only happen mainly in media player and less often in winamp, and NOT in unreal?!
thats whats perplexing me..

This is a stupid question, but do you have any EAX Effects Presets enabled?

Also, I seem to remember an Issue with the SB Audigy and certain model Soyo Dragon mobos. I'm not sure if it also affected the SB Live!, but it is worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back