Scaling up positions !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Like I mentioned on this thread a few minutes ago we seem to be doing pretty well with UD. We have been scaling up positions, now up to ~8100k position (points); this may not sound too good to some of you however it's great considering there are teams doing it for months now, so our primary target will be entering the top 50 point generators on a daily basis, then scale up slowly as we catch up with the rest of the teams that have been working for months now.

I'm pretty positive on what we can achieve, we are currently doing about 8k points a day, vs. 30k points for the team occuping the spot #50 and we haven't even gone public yet... worst case scenario we will always be contributing to a very good cause.
We are sticking with UD I think so if you haven't joined TechSpot Team - beta ;) be sure to do so ASAP!

Download the client and join.

Julio! Quick! Before anyone notices! Those URL's are swapped around, the download link links to our team and the team link links to the download! :(

Anyway...

What's really cool is that we're #11,064 in CPU time but we're #8,078 in points...

This is so cool! I feel sure we'll break the top 50.

Right now we generate 4,247.15 points per day, and #50 generates 30,619. Come on guys! We can do it! :D

Sorry, but I haven't been crunching today. I wasn't able to keep my machine running all day while I'm at school :(

Thanks for the note on the URLs, VH.

Originally posted by Vehementi
Right now we generate 4,247.15 points per day, and #50 generates 30,619. Come on guys! We can do it!

Actually, 4,247 is an average for the past 15 days or something similar, we are now pushing around 7k points a day with the current number of members.

We are doing good. Even if we don't break all these goals (Which I think we will) we are working for good things. It isn't time wasted, so everyone needs to join and help out.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
Thanks for the note on the URLs, VH.

Actually, 4,247 is an average for the past 15 days or something similar, we are now pushing around 7k points a day with the current number of members.

Numbers numbers numbers...:rolleyes:

:eek: 7k is pretty good.

team_stats_history_points.png.asp

We broke our own record yesterday :) up to 9000 points for the day now and up to # 7,194 position (points), we are doing good...

Yeah.. Go us ;)

Left my laptop on when I went to sleep last night to finish off the latest ligandfit... Got to say at work I'm getting a bit fed up of the dual fans on my Inspiron 8200 going constantly. Just gotta listen to music to make it more bareable... :)

Dual fans? Haha. I have dual fans in the front and rear of my case. Plus two in my PSU. One on my northbridge, CPU, video card...So I can't leave it crunching all night either :( It's in the room where I sleep too...Much to my dismay. But, I can leave it on while I'm at school! Good, eh? :D

Go Team TechSpot! :D

Originally posted by Vehementi
Dual fans? Haha. I have dual fans in the front and rear of my case. Plus two in my PSU. One on my northbridge, CPU, video card...So I can't leave it crunching all night either :( It's in the room where I sleep too...Much to my dismay. But, I can leave it on while I'm at school! Good, eh? :D

Go Team TechSpot! :D

Yeah... I used to sleep in a room with a Delta 6000rpm fan running in my rig.. Like sleeping on an airport runway ;)

inspn8000back.jpg

See the fans... Not like on a desktop where you can put it under a desk out of the way. Its constantly whiring away :(

Oops just noticed that I am accidentally cheating on the points...
If I boot my laptop up without mains power connected then UD starts up and recognises my processor as 1.2Ghz thanks to Intel Speedstep technology. If I then plug in mains it goes to full 1.7Ghz. So in the comparison that the tool uses for gauging points gained it comes up as "85", but then full speed its "113". So I will gain more points if I boot without mains power ;)

Its not intentional. I usually like to have my computer booting up whilst I plug in the mouse, power and network cables :D

Those small fans are always the worst. They spin at such high RPM that it makes SO much noise. Compare an 80mm to a 120mm ;)

Arris & I have been running UD almost the exact same time. Actually, 3 mins and 3 seconds away. Cool.

Gahh!!!!!

Tad bit below 14,000 points yesterday & 3 days before that :eek:

We really are scaling up positions!!! :eek:

Congrats on climbing to #3013 in points!

That's about 4500 places in ~1 day!

But you've dropped to #184 in generated points yesterday...

I'd join you, but still no net connection... (Sponsors welcome!!!)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
I'd join you, but still no net connection... (Sponsors welcome!!!)

Just set it up in some internet cafe somehwere, so it runs all the time. We could get a lot of computers that way......

Not that I'm endorsing such a thing, just thought it would be funny.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Just set it up in some internet cafe somehwere, so it runs all the time. We could get a lot of computers that way......

Well... I got into enough problems when I set SETI@home up at school...

For some reason DEC5 was ok, but not SETI... Could have been that with DEC I had to copy the completed keys to a floppy, bring home, then send them, but with SETI, it just sent them....
(The school was on dual ISDN, and only connected when we had computer class...)

Though on the second school it took more or less a year before they found SETI :D

From http://www.beachsidetech.com/crime.html:
Crime of the Century-RC5?!
Could it be that by putting RC5 on some computers, you could get fined for $415,000 USD, and receive up to 15 years in jail? It just may become so. Read: The following isn't a joke, or a hoax. It's real as hell, and just as scary. First off, you'll need some background info.
The story unfolded pretty much infront of my eyes. I had signed up in the Anandtech forums to find out more about Distributed Computing. The first post I read was about this man named Dave McOwen. He send out a plea to his fellow Team Anandtech teammates, stating that the state of Georgia is prosecuting him for unauthorized use of RC5 at a Georgia school he worked at in 1999. At first I thought he was full of it. But later on that night, I found out it was true. After some flaming, and little info, and some more flaming, his fellow teammates decided to aid him anyway they could.
Why help him? He unlawfully used them, just let him fry. Because it isn't clear that he was even wrong. The statutes concerning the intenet in Georgia are so vague, and quite frankly, piss poor that a person could be just as bad off for sending personal emails at work. Some of you are wondering just how these figures of punishment were drawn up. Well, I'm still guessing. The state is charging that the Dnet client cost them $.59 USD per second. Which would roughly give you the $415,000 USD total. Basically, Dave is at the hands of an over ambitious General Attorney who wants to make a name for himself. It's disgusting to see this nonsense in a country like the United States. Worse yet, the state is tacking on an additional felony charge, plus another $100,000 USD fine. That's 30 years and $515,000 USD, all for RC5?

Sorry, but I have bad news about my UD productivity. I had to stop running UD on my main machine - I have been having heat issues when I keep it on now. Next machine is an intel for sure - none of my intel machines have had a single problem with this - even my duallies which run seti on one processor and UD on the other - 24x7. Gotta put that 3.06+NV30 together as soon as the parts are out!

LNCPapa

Lately I havent been running the UD agent because I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP....I'll reinstall it and let it run all day while I'm at school from now on......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back