Scary BSOD, My pc decided to start crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oggli

Hello, my pc was working fine untill a couple of days ago that it started to reboot by itself, and the it started to give me the scary blue screen, some times it says Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, I have here my minidums, thanks for the help

Attachments

• Mini102105-01.zip
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
3 of you 4 minidumps crash because of your Symantec/Norton security product.

Sometimes turning off the live update can solve this problem.

If that doesn`t help. Download the free AVG antivirus programme from HERE

Also download the free Sygate firewall from HERE

Disconnect from the internet, and uninstall that Symantec/Norton from add remove programmes. You may need to uninstall in several pieces, rebooting your system inbetween.

Once you have got rid of Symantec/Norton, install the Sygate firewall first followed by the free AVG programme.

Reboot your computer, and reconnect to the internet, and run the AVG update.

Regards Howard :)

wowww

thankss, i wasnt specting a reply so fast, I'll do what you told, and I'll let you know after its done,

okay,

i took out the norton stuff, now i just have to wait to see if it crashes again, btw, i disabled the page filing option, is that good or not?
thnkss

the virtual memory option

im not using any virtual memory, since i did that is not crashing as much but still eventually, so i dont know if its good or not,
thnksss

No that`s not a good idea.

Some applications regardless of how much ram you have still need to use the paging file.

Click start/run and type cmd.

In the window that appears, type chkdsk /f and hit the enter key. Note the space between the chkdsk command and the forward slash.

You will be told that you need to schedusl a disk check the next time your start your computer. Type y and hit the enter key. Now type exit, and restart your computer.

Once the disk check has finished, your computer will reboot.

Go and re-enable the page file, and restart your computer again.

done

okay it's done, i have to wait now to see if it crashes, for if it helps, the problem started after i was tring to open an .img file, so i downloaded a bunch of progrmas to do it but no one worked, and at the end i errae the file that i was trying to open and the programs to open it, and after an hour or so, it started to crash,
thankss very much

I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

The Symantec/Norton software is well known for causing problems.

You only have to type Norton, or Symantec into the Techspot search feature to see that.

Hopefully your crashing problem will not return.

Regards Howard :) :)

thank you veryyy much

Im glad you were around i was about to format the pc, and also installing the norton at first,
thank you again

it just happened again,

:knock: the pc, just crashed again, :(
here's my last minidump,
thanksss

Attachments

• Mini102405-01.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 5
Your last minidump crashes at tcpip.sys. This is your Windows TCP/IP Protocol Driver.

I have no idea why this has happened.

Hopefully it`s just a one off.

Is you Windows fully updated?

If not, try running the Windows updates.

Sp 1

Hy, im using windows xp home edition, sp 1,
do i need sp 2, i uninstalled sp 2 because it wasnt letting me log in to secure places, dont know why, but after unistalling it i havent had any trouble with secure places,
thankkss

It is usually better to have sp2.

However, I do know that some people have problems when sp2 is installed.

Just make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed for sp1.

It's working

Thanks Howard, i havent had any trouble since i killed norton and updated windows,

It hapend again todayy

It crashed again just a minute ago,
it said driver_irql_not_less_or_equal,
if you get to see this post, here is my last minidump
sorry for so much asking
thanksss

Attachments

• Mini102505-02.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
Your last minidump crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows boot up kernel driver.

I am at a loss to explain to you why this has happened.

I am going to see if I can get a second opinion from someone who knows more about these things than I.

Some more things for your to try.

If you are running Zonealarm, uninstall it and try the Sygate firewall instead.

Uninstall emule as this was mentioned in your earlier crash at tcpip.sys.

Try disabling yahoo, or msn messenger as this was mentioned in your crash ntoskrnl.exe.

Also go HERE and follow the instructions for testing your ram.

ntoskrnl isn't a good place to be crashing. I forsee that reload may still be a good idea.

After all your updates are done, and programs uninstalled, you could try this:

Start-Run and type sfc /scannow. This will validate all your XP system files. It may ask for your XP CD.

Then you may want to run a registry cleaning tool like JV16 Power Tools or RegClean. But there are risks to doing registry work like that.

You may also want to post your Hijackthis log, just in case there is a startup or service that may be installed and causing issues.

good luck

Thanks

Hy, thanks for the help, my pc works perfevtly fine, untill i open the emule, after that it's a matter of an hour or so and it crashes, im going to have to execute the animal :(
thank you very much for your help

Just a quick update.

It has been suggested, and confirmed, that Zonealarm, and Emule don`t go together very well.

If you are using Zonealarm, try the Sygate firewall instead, and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back