Scary Movies

conradguerrero

:darth:

The Ring is the scariest movie. It's about this video that kills you after you watch it. Sounds stupid I know, but the way it's written and the atmospere of the thing makes it very scary. It's so scary that I will never watch it alone, ever. I don't even wanna buy the dvd much less the video!

The US version:
The RING

I've heard it was scary and I've also heard it was worthless. I personally had sided with it being a good movie but I haven't seen it yet. I had access to a copy of it but the audio in the copy was so bad I only watched the first minute or 2 before I turned it off.
So is it worth watching it? -other input desired :)

I found the content of the movie a little lacking, but the cinematography was very scary.

Not bad for PG-13!

yeah, the people kept on explaining what's going on, but the visuals were very cool. PG-13 is not right it should have an "R" rating.

"an are" is correct but:

a "R"
an "R"

hey which way is right? this kind a stuff bothers me, ya the movie too.
:eek:

I've heard that "The Ring" is supposed to one of the scariest movies ever, but I am disturbed by the new commercials for it. There are these kids, can't be more than 15 or 16, talking about how scary it is. If this movie is so horrific then why isn't it given an "R" instead of a "PG-13".

Over the years I have tried to find reasoning in how some movies get the "R" but other movies that are more violent or scarier get the "PG-13". From what I can tell, if a movie contains more than 3 seconds of nudity, it gets an "R" but If it contains no nudity, then they can kill and mame all they want with a "PG-13". And people wonder what is wrong with kids these days.

When I was younger, pretty much anything classified as "horror" got an "R" whether it had nudity or not, but the last few years, it seems they are going easy on movies so that they can market them to kids.

I'll have to give it a viewing when it comes out in the UK.
I really found Event Horizon scary, unpleasantly so. Whereas this "The Ring" seems to do it with more than terror tactics and unpleasant bloody scenes which I think would be more of a challenge, and therefore worth a look. At first I thought you meant a Video Recorder that killed people after you watched a video on it, and I was thinking that it the theme would be more suited to a spoof/parady. I guess the only film I have seen which is scary in this way would be "Final Destination"?

The original ( Japanese version ) was very good. I haven't seen the US remake but some people say it isn't as good.

http://ringworld.somrux.com/index.htm

You can check out this site which has information about anything Ring related but there are many spoilers so do not go unless you've allready seen the movie.

The movie people fight hard for the PG-13 rating. That way they reach a larger audience and make more money. If they can rfefrain from adding explicit sex and violence then they can get the rating.

Personally I didn't find this movie that disturbing. I had a few friends watch it, and said it was veyr scary, but when I watched it I didn't think it was too bad.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Personally I didn't find this movie that disturbing. I had a few friends watch it, and said it was veyr scary, but when I watched it I didn't think it was too bad.
Possibly cause you watched it on a 19" monitor with bad sound and they watched it on a 30 foot screen with awesome sound? :)

Negative, they watched it on a 19" monitor, and I watched it on a 32" TV :D

And my movies are much more quality than the rest ;)

Titanic had alot more than 3 seconds of nudity in it, and it was PG-13...

The Ring goes on my list for movies to get :D Sounds good.

"Signs" could fall into this category. It wasn't exactly scary in the conventional sense, but there were a few moments that almost made me end up facedown on the theater floor...(i.e. dog barking, TV scene, etc.)

What the hell am I thinking? "Signs" was an incredibly scary movie. /me shudders

I especially liked the birthday party scene :D Hehehe, great present huh?

Well, it is one of those things you HAVE to see on the "big screen". If you don't have a very large TV and great sounding setup, then you won't get the effect. The movie itself isn't that great.. It's the cinematography and atmosphere that make this movie scary.

The reason it was NOT R, is because there isn't actually any violence. The avoided the violence by doing the "before and after" method, instead of the "while they are doing it" one. I don't remember any potent language either... It just wasn't rated R material.

I have to say that "home movie" thing they had was cool! The actual video that kills people looks like something I would make in videography. :)

The video is the most disturbing part of the movie. I found that I kept on expecting the movie to end, and when it didn't it was that much more surprising and frightening. Of course, I'm talking about the end of the video. That there was some scary stuff, if I was drunk I would have wet myself.
puke:

I really enjoyed the movie and several of the women at the sneak preview I saw were all-out screaming. That was pretty entertaining too - even though my wife was one of those women. I thought it was an excellent show and even though you expected some things to happen they still get you stirred up quite a bit.

LNCPapa

There's a Ring 0 movie that was released in Asia. It tells the story of Sadako ( or Samara in the remake ). It's very good & fills in a lot of the blanks.

I don't know if Dreamworks bought the rights for that one too.

Originally posted by Arris
I'll have to give it a viewing when it comes out in the UK.
I really found Event Horizon scary, unpleasantly so. Whereas this "The Ring" seems to do it with more than terror tactics and unpleasant bloody scenes which I think would be more of a challenge, and therefore worth a look. At first I thought you meant a Video Recorder that killed people after you watched a video on it, and I was thinking that it the theme would be more suited to a spoof/parady. I guess the only film I have seen which is scary in this way would be "Final Destination"?

Any other scary Films?
Perhaps from other nations?
:confused:

I realize a lot of ppls thought Blaire Witch was lame. It scared me so bad I had to get out of my house, which is old and at times scary, since its out in the woods with big, hairy, wild animals lurking about. It was also dark, and the wind was blowing and shaking the bushes and trees. There is a 40 year old smokehouse out back that an old native lady used to sit in while smoking her salmon strips (weird). My imagination got the best of me and I got a 'little' freaked out. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I've since deleted the old smokehouse.:

My wife and kids got quite a laugh over that when I met them over at the place they were babysitting for the evening:eek::

I haven't actually seen Blair Witch...

But I've heard it leaves alot to the imagination...

I heard all this hype about it, but did it deliver?

It was better if you saw it very shortly after it was released, when all the advertisements led you to believe that all this actually happened, and you were watching real footage.
It lost its magic when people started realizing it was made up.

I'm with Arris on Event Horizon. I have it on video and even though its not as scary as when i saw it in the theater, its still chilling. Another real good one is "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. It's not super scary or anything, but its by far one of my favorite thriller flicks.

Originally posted by Arris
I guess the only film I have seen which is scary in this way would be "Final Destination"?

I agree, I thought "Final Destination" was pretty scary, at least the first couple of times I watched it.

Back