School

Status
Not open for further replies.

lehsstudent

i need to construct a computer for my networking class.
constrictions
1.cant spend more then $650
2.have to buy from a store(no used parts)
3.i need to write a report on each individual part with its past presant and where its going to be in the near future
4.has to work=)

i want to make the best possible comp i can that justworks. i dont care about sound cards at all and anything that isnt crucial to run can be bought later and added
the only thing i am sure of is that i want a mobo from asus and i want it to be fast and be capable of ethernet
what components should i use i need to know everything. i can write the report myself

Too bad you have to order in a store, as stores can rip you off very bad. Since this is only for a school project I wouldn't suggest anything major for parts. A simple motherboard (socket lga 775 would work), and a Celeron D Processor would be fine. You could also pick out a nic card from a store for a decent price. Generic case is fine as well and will probably come with a stock psu. Also, I would get at least 512MB Compatible ram (with motherboard).

P.S
I would name the titles more descriptively next time for more replies.

Get a 939 MoBo, and a Athlon 64. The mobos are very cheap, and so are the processors, and will blow away the cleron d for about the same money or less.

cfitzarl said:
Too bad you have to order in a store, as stores can rip you off very bad.
I think he just meant he can't buy used parts from someone. Places like newegg are fair game.

Asus has motherboards with onboard video, sound, and LAN. So right there that takes care of most of it. Then pick out an Enermax PSU for stability, a decent CD/DVD burner, and a nice hard drive. That should be easily under $650 unless you go crazy with a processor.

yeah i think i will get an extremely cheap procesor ($5 would be nice)so i can get an expensive one after the project is over. i think i was misunderstood when i said it was for school because it will be my computer not the schools. it is an assignment ( believe it or not) to teach us angermanagment skills for when a part you order is either non-compatable or just plain broke. im still in favor of going postal. and sngx1275 is right about the stores. i do rather like newegg(especialy the rating system lol).

i would get a huge kick if on the day we test our comp after i (hopefully) pass i will immedietly open it up take out the processor throw it(literaly) at something and put a ~$200~ cpu in its place. i know i am immature.

lehsstudent said:
i would get a huge kick if on the day we test our comp after i (hopefully) pass i will immedietly open it up take out the processor throw it(literaly) at something and put a ~$200~ cpu in its place. i know i am immature.

Lol, it looks like some of your specs are a little off :) I guess you really hate your computer.

I thoguht I did....oh well. I think that he shouldnt use integrated graphics because it can be VERY slow with 256 MB RAM.

I've also got another question:

I keep finding mobos that support up to 1000 MHz, but I see processors that only go to 2000 MHz. Will the 1000 MHz mobo support the 2000 MHz processor?

Also, here is a little help on the history of ASUS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS

sw123 said:
I keep finding mobos that support up to 1000 MHz, but I see processors that only go to 2000 MHz. Will the 1000 MHz mobo support the 2000 MHz processor?
It's the same. It really is 1000 full duplex, but sometimes it's falsely labeled 2000 MHz. Full duplex means it can send and receive at the same time. It looks like some 800 MHz HTT 939 CPUs just hit the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back