Scottish a minority language in Scotland...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGaribaldi

As I know there are at least 2 scots frequenting these boards (one of them even posting most of the news) I figured it was worth to post this..

The Reg has a story about The scottish parliament in scottish, and how they are updating their pages with scottish version is well worth a read!
Given that there hasn't really been anything you could call an 'official' version of Scots since James VI headed south, it is of course difficult for the parliament to produce something completely acceptable to all of the regional variations of Scots, so we won't be too hard on them. But considering the number of native Scots speakers is estimated as in excess of 1.5 million, while the 1991 census identified only 67,000 speakers of the one everybody's heard of, Gaelic, then there's an inexorable logic to the language getting the Parliament's support.

And if you want "tae hae a keek" at the scottish parliaments pages in scottsh, click here.

And Mict, this time the links does work ;) :D

For any Scot's here, is their a Scottish version of Gaelic? or is it just the same as Irish, i know Welsh is different.

Thanks very much, but I don't really care. And I am Scottish. But I like to think of myself primarily as a citizen of the planet.

Hehehe...

I at least got a laugh out of some of the translations..
We want tae mak siccar that as mony folk as can is able tae find oot aboot whit the Scottish Pairlament dis and whit wey it warks.

Besides, it was nice to see how closely related some norwegian and scottish words are :)
(Those marked in italics are quite close in both writing and pronunciation)

Originally posted by Phantasm66
... I like to think of myself primarily as a citizen of the planet.
You mean Tatooine, or are we talking much closer to home? :D

Rory7 the name I have always heard for scotish is Scots Gaelic so yes I would presume that both "Irish" and "Scotish" are very close and probalbly derive from the same language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back