screen goes black and fan on video card speeds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my video card (gforce 7900GS). After about 5 to 10 minutes of idle my screen will go black and the fan on the video card will increase in speed. It dose not come back on until i flip the switch on the back of the power supply off and restart the computer. I checked the card temp with Ntune and it is at 50c right before it goes out. This card is about 5 months old and i have never had a problem before. Also, i am not overclocking and all drivers and software are up to date. Has anyone heard of an issue such as this?

I have the exact same problem with a 7900GS. If I leave the computer on for a couple days it will almost always do it and once it does it will keep doing it every time I start up until I just leave it off for awhile. I don't believe it is a temperature issue because everything looks normal and I am not doing anything terribly taxing. I wish I knew of a way to fix this, but at least after reading this I am pretty certain that the problem is isolated to the video card so I might just replace it .

Answer to video card problem

I found that the card may have a defect. So i sent it back to newegg for a new one. Until i receive the new card i will be using a gforce 8500 gt (i am currently using this card). Same pci express bus and almost same specs, other than dx 10. So far there have been no issues and the cards temp is normal. The only solution i have is that the temp sensor on the card was defective; this is why it would work and then shut down after startup.

I was given a geforce2 mx440 many years ago that did the exact same thing. I spotted that a surface mount capacitor on the edge of the card was cracked. I replaced it and the card worked fine for over 2 years until i upgraded. This info may help someone perhaps.

Aluvatan said:
I found that the card may have a defect. So i sent it back to newegg for a new one. Until i receive the new card i will be using a gforce 8500 gt (i am currently using this card). Same pci express bus and almost same specs, other than dx 10. So far there have been no issues and the cards temp is normal. The only solution i have is that the temp sensor on the card was defective; this is why it would work and then shut down after startup.

I got the same problem, thx for the solution.
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Mine was under warranty with the manufacturer so I sent it back. They received it today so I will find out if it is warranty within 10 days, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

PNY is sending me another video card, should be here after this coming weekend. That was faster than I thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back