Screen goes black at login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is posted in the right spot if not I apologie. When I turn on my computer, it starts up normally with the windows logo and everything, but when it comes to the login screen, all is black. The login screen is totally gone, so there is no way to get into the pc and find out what is wrong with it. Does anyone know what is wrong, or if there is a way to restore the pc without having to log into an account. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am desperate. Thank you.

Welcome to Techspot!

First things first, try and boot into safe mode. Also, may as well post your system specs as we'll probably need them.

you didn't give us much info to go by. Did you do anything recently like install software or hardware?
What kind of system do you have?
We're not mind readers here! ;)

Basically undo all changes before the system started crashing. This includes hardware and software. To uninstall software, boot into safe mode.

Regards,

Korrupt

Wow, thanks for all the inquiries. Sorry about the lack of info in the original post, but I didn’t realize the full extent of the situation myself until my younger brother reached home, and told me what happened. Here it is (at least, to the best of my understanding): There was attempt to change the background color of the windows xp login screen, according to the instructions at this website. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/logonbg.htm .

A REG file was made to provide back up of the file HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors (and saved in my pictures), and then the original digits (not the numbers on the backup file) were edited to a new color scheme. Then, I guess he switched user to see if the color scheme worked. But instead, it merely brought him to blank screen with no way to log back in. Now, when the computer is turned on, it loads the windows logo screen, but then goes straight to the blank, black login screen. So there is no presentation of the option to press f8 or anything. Also, prior to the manual change of the login color scheme, a program called login loader was installed. After waiting a few minutes on the blank login screen, it will come up and ask which login screen I would like to implement. However, there are no other schemes available on this computer, so I can not pick another logon screen. It provides me with the option of using the default login screen, which I take but it doesn’t work. Somehow, it seems as if a blank, black screen has now become my default user screen.

I am at a total loss of what to do. Without f8 (because those options don’t come up now, it just loads and then goes to the blank login screen), is there anyway to get back into the pc, or is the computer virtually destroyed, or can it be repaired in a shop? Any insight would be helpful, and thank you X 1000 to anyone with suggestions! And I apologize for the incoreect thread title! That was ignorance on my part.

Hi.
I got this problem too.

Now, today, the sound was starting to lagg, and i tried to unnplug / plugg the audio cable. No luck, so looked inside the PC. I tapped on the audio source ( not hard ), and when i looked at my screen, it was lagging, and went black.

I restarted my computer, and it started normaly, the Windows Logo, with the loader came up, and when it was finished, all went black. The PC screen said : " No signal". So ive double checked the screen cable, but still it wont work, and it's weird. Becasue the screen works, before this log-in menu, so i think it's something with the PC.

So i hitted F8, and opened my PC in " Last Working bla bla .. " , and the same happened.
I tried again, now in "Safe mode".
, and it worked

I can login to my PC in SafeMode, i get the login menu for Admins.

So i tried that System Recover that takes you back in time to load the last working thing. But it the same happend here too,

So now im posting this in "Safe Mode with Net" on my PC now.

Do you guys have ANY idea about how i can fix this?

Me too, but i think in another way

Hopefully this is posted in the right spot if not I apologie. When I turn on my computer, it starts up normally with the windows logo and everything, but when it comes to the login screen, all is black. The login screen is totally gone, so there is no way to get into the pc and find out what is wrong with it. Does anyone know what is wrong, or if there is a way to restore the pc without having to log into an account. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am desperate. Thank you.

Hi.
I got this problem too.

Now, today, the sound was starting to lagg, and i tried to unnplug / plugg the audio cable. No luck, so looked inside the PC. I tapped on the audio source ( not hard ), and when i looked at my screen, it was lagging, and went black.

I restarted my computer, and it started normaly, the Windows Logo, with the loader came up, and when it was finished, all went black. The PC screen said : " No signal". So ive double checked the screen cable, but still it wont work, and it's weird. Becasue the screen works, before this log-in menu, so i think it's something with the PC.

So i hitted F8, and opened my PC in " Last Working bla bla .. " , and the same happened.
, and it worked

So i tried that System Recover that takes you back in time to load the last working thing. But it the same happend here too,

( Loose signal on login menu on Windows XP,) ( Black screen?)
Hi
I got this problem too.

, and it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back