Screen goes black with new video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

z28spd

I just bought a Geforce 640mb 8800 gts video card. When i'm playing games every once in awhile, well pretty often, my screen will go blank and i have to turn my LCD screen off and then back on and the screen will come back on. I thought it might have been overheating at first but the temp stays between 70c and 76-78c. I also don't know why this would cause me to restart my monitor and it would work again. Anyone know anything about this?

Your 172.4 deg F is too hot (I think). I run an 8800. I have a constant temp readout on my desktop. Mine will idle around 129F. When gaming I reach 152F tops. Get an exhaust fan below the GPU to get that heat away. If you run a program that will give you all of the hardware temps, maybe you can spot what's getting the hottest.

but do you think that would cause this problem. i just understand why restarting my monitor fixes the problem.

Actually, that used to happen to me with my X1900, when I had it in a poorly ventilated unit with lots of lint blockage in the fan. Try checking out the vents on your fan, it could just be poor circulation. Turning your monitor off for a second or two probably prevents the card from forcing output, reducing the load just enough, and just long enough, that the card can cool off for more play.

That's just hazarding a guess, but that's what I wager it would be. However, make sure to check the connection between the male and female extensions on both the monitor and the card. If either is loose, it'll screw with you. Some trouble might also come up if you use a DVI-to-VGA down-converter. Sometimes they're faulty and a high throughput will melt internals.

thanks. I will check that out. Sounds like it could be the problem. The room does get really hot and I need to clean the case out as well.

i just bought the antec 900 case and it still seems to be having the same problems with the temp. about 20c less to 56c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back