Screen Resolution Troubleshoot after Reinstalling Windows xP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reinstalled Windows xp after having problems with the internet, etc...

After reinstalling, i tried to change the screen resolution from 640 x 480 to a higher resolution, but the arrow wont move in the settings tab of the display properties. When I click the advanced button, under the general tab and the display section, the DPI setting button is not available. Neither is properties button under the monitor tab. Under the color quality, there is only one option: Medium (16-bit). The low resolution is getting on my nerves, everything is huge and i need to scroll to read everything.

Is there a problem with the driver or video card? How do i fix this?

After reinstalling XP, you probably only have the generic video adapter driver installed. Reinstall the video driver using the CD that came with your system or video card. You could also try Windows Update online as it may recognize your video adapter and list a driver to install.

i went into my control panel, went to the system properties, clicked the hardware tab, clicked on the device manager, and then under monitors, i opened up "plug and play monitor". i uninstalled it, clicked on printers and other hardware, added hardware, and then reinstalled it with the cd that came with my system. thanks for the replies.

Couldn't tell from your response if you meant you tried all that and you still had your problem. So just in case, when you're in Device Manager, check the "Display Adapter" to make sure that has the right driver. If not, install the right one using the CDs that came with your system. Which sounds like what you did do for some of the hardware.

The monitor is not the video card...they are 2 different things. What type of vid card do you have ? ?
Try re-installing the drivers for it.

patio. :rolleyes:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and read my post.

Download and run the free Everest programme, it`ll give you loads of info for your system.

If you have onboard graphics, go to your mobo manufacturers website and download the drivers from there.

On the other hand, if you have a seperate graphics card, go to the website of the manufacturer and download the drivers from there.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back