SCSI 15,000 RPM HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

Does anyone have any info on the SCSI 15,000 RPM HDs?

I heard they need a controler on top of the HD. But new motherboards come with the ability to support SCSI, right.....?

I haven't found any official OEM specs but I'm not going to goooooooooogle to page 100.

Thanks.

Yes, SCSI drives need a SCSI controller. No, most motherboards, except for expensive server motherboards, don't come with SCSI controllers on board.

Some of the new motherboards come with serial ATA controllers (SATA). With a 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptor drive you will approach the performance of SCSI at a cost somehat lower. I use my onboard SATA and two Raptors in RAID0 and am very pleased with the performance. (112/100 MB/s R/W speed in Atto, 67 MB/s in Sandra, 63 MB/s average read and 8.5 ms random seek time in HDtach)

Wow... 15,000 RPM.. can we say Jet engine ? That is pretty fast. I would bolt that sucker down good cause your computer might take off through the roof.

I'm getting it because there is no point in getting an ultra fast comp and everything has to run at the speed of the 7200RPM HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back