SCSI 68 Pin Ultra 2 drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 SCSI Ultra 2 drives laying around and I have decided I want to get a external case and try and create a raid array with these drives to run on my P-4 running Windows XP. I have an Adaptec 2940U2W controller but I am not sure it works or not. I am new to SCSI technology so any help getting started with this would be great. Thanks. I would rather go with SATA but these 3 drives are FREE.

Nothing too complicated with it. You just have to take care when setting the jumpers (if any) on the dirves to make sure the IDs are right and the terminations OK. Reading the manual of the SCSI controller wouldn't hurt either.

Have a read about almost everything a sane person would want to know about SCSI (look in the end for useful info on cabling and configuration): http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/index.htm

I looked at the product specs and seems that your controller doesn't have RAID so you have to do it by software (bad news for you, esp. with Windows).

I appreciate your information and after reading your link and other stuff I think I can get this working. I still have to get an external case for drives though, they will not all fit inside the machine.

I would be curious as to what you end up using as an external case .SCSI cables and termnation are bulky & aukward .
Let us know please

There are standard enclosures for SCSI drives with builtin connectors. And there are many types of SCSI cables, including non bulky and not so awkward ones.

Nodsu ; I have seen the HDD cases for single (external) units.But
Maybebe says he wants to array 3 HDD.Have you heard or seen these ?
Just curious

I have heard of them, I have seen them, I have even touched them. External storage enclosures are a common sight in server world. You can cram anything up to dozens of drives into those. Mind you that these things are SCSI or Fibre Channel only and cost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back