SCSI cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllewe

Doing my homework for computer install, and this seems really simple but....

If you install and SCSI type A connector into a SCSI Hard Drive upside down, will there be any harm to the Drive? How about the SCSI Host adapter?

Thanks

Sean

type A? I've never heard of a type A. Most of that old SCSI stuff used CN50 (I think... been a while) connectors. Later it was the HD50 and HD68, narrow and wide SCSI. Anything recent is SCSI5 which has a name for it's connector that escapes me. At any rate, none of these can be plugged in upside down.

alias-you might be right, im not sure. The book i am refrencing from, talks about type A SCSI cabling? Im not talking about new stuff however...this is back in the day when the first SCSI was introduced. Thanks anyways

Sean

p.s. It is possible that i am wayyy off track with this one, so if i am please feel free to let me know! lol

wow nice site, thanks alias. Yea im not sure where they got the type A from?? Oh well that prob. wont be on the test anyways.
Thanks

Sean

OK, I'm fairly certain they are talking about the old narrow scsi idc50 internal connector. It can be reversed and it can cause probs.

Lifted text:

Most manufacturers of SCSI devices use a fuse to protect their devices from the above problems. This method does keep the rest of the unit from getting hurt when the 5-Volt line is subjected to too much current draw, but once the fuse is blown, if 5-Volt power is required from the unit for proper system operation, it will not be there until the fuse is replaced. The fuse that is commonly used does not show that it is blown, other than by measurement. This has caused many problems in the field, because the only symptoms of a blown fuse can be marginal operation of the system, which could be caused by many other problems. The 5-Volt termination power fuse is in many cases not even included in the list of potential causes to look for.

http://www.burtec.cl/paralan/english/hotswap.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back