Scsi vs ide cdrw

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have 64ide cdrw drives in two machines. routeenly each drive may last 6-12months then just stops, each has its own hdd and controler card which is of no consiquence. my competitor has a single machine with 64SCSI cdrw drives and has replaced only 1 in the last two years. i am making a case to my boss that our problems stem from the fact ide components are just not made to run as long as scsi our competitor is proof. my boss says there are too many variables involved to make such a statment. is there definitave proof that scsi lasts longer in a constant load situation.
these drives are running almost 24/7, any proof out there other than my opinion?

I wouldnt say SCSI lasts longer than IDE, IDE is no more a "damaging" connection type than SCSI, although, I'd prolly say in your case... its down to the brand of the CD-RW

Come on you Supersonics !!

SCSI devices are high end and offer a large profit margin to the manufacturer so they don't have to cut corners on quality. And the consumers of SCSI devices are the demanding type - servers and workstations are supposed to run 24/7 without glitches unlike home PCs. Even in the device behind the interface is the same you can bet that those units that get SCSI interface are taken from better batches.

But still, the brand of the device has a lot more impact on their lifetime than the interface type.

BTW, how do you know how exactly much trouble you competitor has had? Maybe they are just making themselves look better..

I have a SCSII CDRW, the Plextor PX-W1210S, which is 12xwrite/10xrewrite/32xread. My first one got fried by lightning (which also fried my UPS/Surge protector, but left everything else OK). Plextor replaced it for a very reasonable fee (€ 105.00 for replacement, including courier pick-up and delivery, and it was out of warranty). I have this new unit (same model) now for about 2 years, and never had any problems with either. It takes about 5-6 minutes to burn a full CD, which is fast enough for me. I burn about 20-30 CD's a months, using either Alcohol120% for copies or Sony CD-Extreme for new compilations.
The reason I went for SCSII is confirming Nodsu's post, better quality, plus SCSII does not put much (if any) load on the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back