SDR Ram in DDR Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Base 64K Memory Failure

Hi there,

This is my first post on TechSpot. I hope that I can offer some good advice as well as request it. :0)

Right now though, I am in a spot of bother. :0)

Today, I went to a clients house to fix his computer. Everything was fine, I just had to install a new ram. So, ahead I went, but the card would not fit so I forced it a little. Later I realised I had forced a SDR Ram into A DDR Slot. Not good, I know. Then, I took it out so that I was back to the original configuration.

Now the computer won't even boot onto the A: Drive or even get as far as display the BIOS. It just keep emitting a beep noise.

Arrrgggghhhh!!!! :0)

My questions is ... would the above result in a fried motherboard or a fried ram card? I was going to buy a new DDR tommorrow and hopefully just swap it over, but I can't think of any logical reason that the existing one won't work.

Any or all info on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

djdj

Since you say you forced it into the slot, you might have created small cracks in the mobo which may be the reason for the problem...
Or you might have fried the board as you say.

Either of those will result in a dead board.

But you might be lucky. Try taking out every card, cable & al from the mobo, then reseat the mobo in the case, and try to boot with as few components installed as possible (ie. cpu, vid.card and ram). And try switching the slots the ram is in...

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, :)

Using the beep codes (3 Short) I seem to have come to the conclusion that I am experiencing "Base 64K Memory Failure"

I purchased a brand new DDR Ram this morning, however, this did not resolve the issue.

Q1: How could I still experience "B64MF" with good ram?

I also assumed from the fact the mobo was eminating beep codes, that it must still be intact/functional.

Q2: Would this be a logical conclusion?

http://support.packardbell.de/de/mypc/?PibItemNr=spec_columbia6

rsvp

djdj :0)

p.s. I have added a few advisory posts in respect of the help I received. Tks again.

Not necessarily. Because you are getting beep codes doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing wrong with the motherboard. The error report could have been generated from a damaged RAM memory slot instead of the RAM itself. I'm not saying that's the case but it could be.

Yeah. Most likely you cause a short or otherwise a bad connection when you forced the SDR stick into the slot. Could have easily crossed lines that shouldn't have been crossed and cause something to overheat and break. It takes only fractions of a second to ruin something in that circumstance.

Sounds Reasonable. :0)

Great, thanks for that. I guess I will have to go ahead and purchase a new mobo. Dang! :0)

RAM upgrade help

hello, i have joined this forum only today and hope you will welcome my queries and try to assist my basic knowledge of computer technology as i am just a mechanical engineer in industrial marketing business with only a working knowledge of the PC i work at whether in office or home. in turn i will try and contribute with whatever resource i can offer to you.

i have a zenith PC with Intel original Mobo having 256 mb Ram, is it possible to upgrade the Ram myself but before that how can i make out if it is SDR or DDR Ram. on upgrading is the existing Ram usable or has to be discarded?
would be thankful if you can help.
warm regards and wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Pradeep K. Ivon from New Delhi

ivonpradeep said:
hello, i have joined this forum only today and hope you will welcome my queries and try to assist my basic knowledge of computer technology as i am just a mechanical engineer in industrial marketing business with only a working knowledge of the PC i work at whether in office or home. in turn i will try and contribute with whatever resource i can offer to you.

i have a zenith PC with Intel original Mobo having 256 mb Ram, is it possible to upgrade the Ram myself but before that how can i make out if it is SDR or DDR Ram. on upgrading is the existing Ram usable or has to be discarded?
would be thankful if you can help.
warm regards and wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Pradeep K. Ivon from New Delhi
read: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

Do NOT piggyback on threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back