Seagate 250GB SATA HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darien42

Hey there,

I recently picked up a Seagate 250 GB SATA HDD (model number: ST3250824AS). When I installed it, I did as I was exactly told. I disconnected the power and turned of the system, plugged the SATA cable from the HDD to the motherboard (I have an ASUS P4P800 motherboard), hooked up the power cable from the power supply to the HDD and closed the case up. When I powered up the system, Windows (I'm using XP Professional) recognized the HDD and added it to the device manager... but the problem is; its there is no icon displayed in My Computer. I dont know what to make of it. Could it be something with Windows? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did you go into Disk Manager to initialize the drive, create a partition and format the drive?

I went into Disk Manager but couldnt find how to initiate the drive. It says the device is working properly and that it is enabled. However, when I access the Volumes Tab under the ST3250824AS Properties, I click populate and it says that its not initialized. how would I go about initializing it?

First fo all you are in the wrong place. there is no "volumes tab" in disk managemnt. thee is however a volumes tab in device manager.

to get to disk management go to adminstrative tools\computer management\disk management there you can right click ont he drive and partition it and format it. then it will show up in windows

Windows XP requires SATA drivers. You must install the drivers that came with the drive.
I hope you have a floppy drive.
Floppys are still required for low-level machine use.
BIOS updates, etc....

iss is correct
if you see the drive ,then you don't need drivers
it can be something as simple as giving it a letter
do as iss says and add a vol. letter drive letter
same place you can format if your software did not do that already

May I barg in here 2 years later. I have a new Seadate Sata HD, 300GIG, the computer recognizes the HD but Win XP does not.I want to get generic SATA driver for it.

Hello

Hi all. My name is Dave and am glad to be here on techspot. I'm not a stranger to computers but nor am I a technician so there is much I am will need to ask questions about.

I hope to have a good techy relationship with you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back