Seagate 320GB External Hard Drive: Dead or Salvageable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Seagate 320GB External Hard Drive makes a funny whirling noise whenever I plug it into the USB port. The whirling noise is interrupted by an occasion "beep." My computer doesn't recognize that anything has been plugged in. When I went to "Computer Management" and checked under "Disk Management," I'm being shown two additional drives (beyond the C: and D: drives) that are not labeled.

The first one has the following details: FAT file system and Healthy (EISA Configuration) status. When I right-click that drive, it only gives me the option of "Help." I'm pretty sure that's not the Seagate drive but I have no idea what it is.

The second one has the following details: FAT32 file system and Healthy (Unknown Partition) status. When I right-click that drive, all the options expect for "Delete Partition..." and "Help" are unavailable. This is more than likely the Seagate drive.

Is there anything I can go to recover my files off the external drive? Programs, services, anything at all!

It sounds like what is happening is that the HDD is spinning up then giving an error (stopping an beeping). I've had it happen before. The best advice I can give you is to try it until It spins up and then get your data off asap. Also, did you make the drive yourself (buy internal HDD/external case) or is it 'store bought' ?

I've sat for several hours trying to get the drive to spin correctly. And no, I did not make the drive; I bought it retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back