Seagate 80gb sata hdd copying data from one drive to another is very very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

debojitk

since last 2 or 3 days i am experiencing a severe problem in my pc
(p4 HT 3000hz, 1GB ddr2, seagate 80gb sata---xp service pack2). copying data from d: to e: is taking several minutes to complete, like 2.5 gb data copy is taking 50 minutes, and a 4.38gb dvd writing in 8x that took hardly 7-8 minutes, now taking 25+ minutes.
What is wrong happeing with my pc.
Games like sims are working very slowly, performance is too poor.
Please urgently reply.
Would reinstalling xp solve the problem

Is the other Drive SATA, or IDE?

Is the PC slow in general, or just when moving stuff around?

Open the Task Manager, CTRL/ALT/DEL and go to Processes. Is something using a lot of CPU?

POST back & we'll see if we can get it sorted.

dear sir,
thank you very much for your reply.
i do have only one hdd of 80gb that i describe in the prev. post.
The sata hdd supports PIO mode 4 and ultradma mode 5 as shown in the bios setup page.
In the device manager tab, i found that, in the "advanced settings" tab of "PRIMARY_IDE_CHANNEL properties" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" section, the current transfer mode is "POI only" under section "DMA if available". however the dvd drive connected as secondary ide is showing the transfer mode as "Ultra dma 4".
i uninstalled the "primary ide channel device", and restarted the pc, and xp discovers the new device and automatically installed, and it took the transfer mode as "udma5" and the disk operation became much more faster as before like 70MBps.
Then i started writing a dvd at 8x speed. it started at desired speed however some 2 minutes the writing speed abruptly fallen and then i found that the current transfer mode is again automatically changed to "POI mode" under the section "dma if available".
Now the problem persists.
Please help me to get rid off this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Try doing the same thing to the Secondary IDE.

If it or the HDD keeps dropping back to PIO, I'd be checking whether or not the Motherboard is under warranty, as it is most likely a failing controller.

thank you for your reply sir.
however the mobo has 4 sata port, and i connected the sata hdd to one of them. Now i changed the port and it started working properly and the current transfer mode is showing as "udma 5".
So whats wrong with the previous port.
and please assure me that the currently connected port may raise the same probem again, and my mobo+hdd in warranty period, so should i change one/both of them.
please reply.

I am a bit confused because unless I missed it you didn't say what channels the drives are on. One of them was SATA but I'm not clear on the other, appears to me its on IDE from your 2nd post. If that DVD drive is on the same channel, you may want to make sure that that drive is good. If an optical drive is having problems reading a scratched or damaged disk, Windows will bump that channel (although I can't be certain it isn't just that drive, but the channel makes more sense) to PIO mode.

That may be what is happening if everything was good until you started using your DVD again. You may also want to try a known good (or new) ide ribbon cable.

I am a bit confused because unless I missed it you didn't say what channels the drives are on. One of them was SATA but I'm not clear on the other, appears to me its on IDE from your 2nd post. If that DVD drive is on the same channel, you may want to make sure that that drive is good. If an optical drive is having problems reading a scratched or damaged disk, Windows will bump that channel (although I can't be certain it isn't just that drive, but the channel makes more sense) to PIO mode.

That may be what is happening if everything was good until you started using your DVD again. You may also want to try a known good (or new) ide ribbon cable.

HI sngx,
thanks for your concern.
Look, When i open the disk controller section in device mgr, it shows up 2 Primay ide channels and 2 sec ide channel, the mobo has 4 sata ports(2 black and 2 red) and 2 ide port(black and blue). Previously the config was, hdd and dvd drive shown as primary ide, and no secondary. now i changed the sata port for hdd and now it shows dvd at one of the primary and hdd at one of the 2 secondaries. Now in this config dvd and hdd both are working in UDMA mode under Dma if available section.
So what should be the problem in previous config, ie, hdd and dvd both are shown to be connected as primary ide. This config was also working well since last six months(during installation). But the problem ouccered 2 days before.
Now for the changed config(changing the sata port) it is working well, however i wanna make it sure that whether the same problem would occur or not

ALWAYS use any DMA mode instead of PIO which requires cpu/software assistance :(

look for sata controller driver upgrades
by the way 2 of the sata channels may be raid other 2 may be just normal controller channels
use channel 0 for drive and channel 1 for dvd
i would def re-install drivers
check for IRQ conflicts

there are 4 sata ports on the mobo. 2 are black and two are red. Samstoned, would you want to tell that which twi are raid and which two are normal sata, and on which port the hdd should be connected?????
thanks in advance

I'd guess red is the raid channels
black standard
board should have whats called silkscreened words printed to id use
the manual or pdf for board is a pretty handy read

Now, for last few days after changing the port from the previous to the next black one, the problem as not occured.
Now it is working perfectly well.
Is there any relationship with making the system stand-by to this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472
According to the above link, they said that during standby if there is any read problem occurs to the connected device, the device driver gradually reduces the read mode from udma5 to pio.
Please clarify that!!!

After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a cumulative total of six time-out or
notice IF the atapi.sys driver receives timeouts, NOT the USB or Network!

these are not related (thank GOD!)

if you had it in the red channel colors they may be raid support
did you load raid drivers
system may have defaulted to the standard sata controller drivers
and with CRC errors the system went PIO
or the optical drive is or the discs used are not good
I am assuming optical is sata also
mis-config's chipset my next guess
I have no experiance with sata raid
next bonus will be getting a rocket sata card

Thanks for all the replies.The optical drive is not sata, its an ide drive, so i connceted it to the ide port.
Is there any advantage of connecting the sata hdd to the raid(red) port, over the sata port(black) in terms of access speed.
However now the problem is gone after changing the sata port, but i didn't detect the problem, whether it is related to s/w or h/w.
if it is a s/w problem, then its ok, i can reinstall the os,
but if there is a h/w problem i need a replacement of hdd or mobo.
what do you suggest???

no advantage as far as I know
except when you add 2 drives to raid array used to increase performance
raid 1 makes a copy for like auto backup and performance
I would look into the manual for info on the ability to raid
if so check for raid drivers for the chipset
if all works on the black connector leave alone
check again and find out exactly where your channels are
starts with sata 0 to 3
0 and 1 are probably the black connectors 2 and 3 the red (raid connectors)

Reoccuring the same problem:help me !!!!!

Hi all,
i have come with the same issue after one year, and in the mean time i was suffering from the same problem.
i am totally confused and dont know wat should i do,
My hdd was working very strangely,
1> sometimes the transfer mode going back to pio, by uninstalling the ide driver i was able to fix it temporarily(going back to udma 5)
2> the hdd led always continuously blinks after a certain period(1 sec), even in safe mode(i am sure that nothing is going on in hdd, but the disk led blinks dimly).
3> i have a samsung pata optical drive; when i remove it and runs only with sata hdd, the hdd led always dimly lits.
4> sometimes at startup, the system fails to detect the hdd, or after a long time detects the hdd, and shows "disk read error at start up", after shutting down, restarting several times or changing the port may sometimes fix the problem
5> tested the disk with seatools(dos version), sometimes all tests are passed(long and short dst), sometimes results in a short dst failure with a long dst system hang(needed restart).
6> even when i reinstall windows(with boot cd), the install startup screen comes after several shutdown/poweroff/restarts, even it takes huge time for a quick format, and sometimes when the format waits for a long time, the disk led remains continuously blinking(i know this blink does not indicate any disk read).
7> from safe mode i saw mup.sys waits for along,(1 min), and for that time no disk activity was there, and if i remove the dvd drive the hdd glows always but the mup.sys wait time is much shorted as normal. i thought it is a power deficiency problem, and i seperated the monitor from the psu and seperately powered it up, with a power cable, even removed the evga 8600gt gfx card.
9> i also tested the voltage levels of all pins of the psu outlet and the 20 pin power cable with a DMM, but all voltege levels were perpect(5.12v, 12.24v), i dont know abt the amp(current)

This was the problem with the disk, so i visited seacare centre and got a replacment drive(i thought it to be a brand new, because the power on hours(poh) value was zero during first installation, also with a upgraded firmware). For the very first time the new replacement drive got detected very painfully by taking couple of minutes, i plugged out the drive, reconnected again, and it started running from next startup, but again it has started behaving strangely with all the symptoms described above.

The POST SCREEN never gave any kind of problem
i dont know it is a sata controller problem, or the new replaced drive is faulty, or there is a power deficiency, or what the bullshit is going with my pc, when ever i reach to home and starts the system, i literally cry.
Please help me out of this problem
The nature of the problem is indeterministic, so if i go for a mobo repair(it is in warranty), they will find it with no problem, becoz the problem may not occur to the service personnel, and they return back my old mobo.
i visited a repaiman, he told i should visit a doctor, not my pc!!!!!!

Please help me out of this problem.

if i have a entire spare system , how can i identify the culprit with help of the aux system that i can hire from my frnd.

Please help me out of this problem.
Reply me please.
Waiting for your reply,
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Debojit
System spec:
P4 HT 3ghz,
1GB Kingston ddr2 667mhz
iball bulleye 400 w psu
asus p5gc mx mobo
seagate 80gb sata hdd
samsung octoedge optical drive dvdrw 20x
evga geforce 8600gt 1gb ddr2 vram
pixelview play tv pro tv tuner card

sometimes disk diagnostic gives the disk is ok, sometimes it results in a failure

Thanks boss, that you have replied,
At the time when the problem first occured, i changed the sata port and it was working properly for next 6 months, but after that it again started giving same problem, this time even more, the hdd does not get detected, or if it gets detected it either goes to pio mode, or runs for sometime properly, and then again goes to pio. So i got a replacement hdd from seagate as it was in warranty, but the new disk started giving the same problem
When it detects and i run the seatool for dos, sometimes all tests successfully run including short and long dst both, but when the problem occurs both tests fails, the short dst fails and the long dst hangs.
I am not sure whether the disk is bad again, or the sata controller is bad, i have bought a digital multimeter
if i can test the sata controller by checking some ics voltage level or anything else, or if u have any workaround, please tell me
the problem is haunting me
i am not able to isolate the fault.
Thanks in advance
regards,
Debojit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back