Seagate VS WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a crap shoot.
I've used WD for years with no problems, but last winter an almost new wd160GB w/8MB cache failed in my computer. I would have bought another WD, but found a great deal on a Maxstore 250gb drive. I don't really like that brand, but price is king!

Between the WD and Seagate, I like the WD, BUT any number of people will have the opposite opinion.
Maybe the best warranty/return policy should be your guide.

Good luck.

I believe Seagate acquired Maxtor.

My experience has only been with Western Digital and it has been good. One different feature that WD has is the option of using the "Secureconnect" data cable. Instead of the standard SATA data cable, the Secureconnect cable has a built in bracket that attaches to the hard drive to resist accidentally disconnection. The standard SATA cables come loose much easier. Also, you have the option of using either a standard molex or SATA power cable except when you use Secureconnect. In that case, you must use a standard molex since the SATA connector on the back of the hard drive is covered by the Secureconnect bracket.

From my own experiences with those brands, my preference would be seagate. because they tend to run cooler and quieter than WD's (at least in the models that I have owned), but they are both good brands.

I have owned 2 Seagates and several Western Digitals. the seagates worked great. the western digital caviar models worked great (inlcuding the caviar SE 160GB SATA150 drive I'm using now). I did however have a protege model that died (although I don't think they make them anymore anyways)

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back