Second Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed a second hard drive. Its a 120Gb drive that I want to use for archives. I don't want the two drives RAID'ed together or anything, I just want to use it as additional secondary storage.

I have physically installed it correctly as I understand, and I have set the jumper to slave.

When I boot my machine, everything works fine, however the second drive does not show in "My Computer" and I can't access it from anywhere. There is obviously a problem.

If I click on my primary (C:/) drive select "Properties" and then "Hardware" I can see the two drives, along with the floppy (can't remember what this is for ;)) and my DVD drives.

One is listed as Local(0) and the other is listed as Local(1) which makes me think that the Master/ Slave settings are correct. The information also states for both drives that everything is functioning correctly.

When I reboot the machine, I no longer get the standard BIOS I get a Via Tech VT8237 RAID BIOS (ver. 2.01) that doesn't seem to do anything except let me quit. I cannot reach the original standard BIOS.

My mother board is a ASUS P4V8X-X. I have attached an image of the drive details. (Its in Portuguese, I can deal with the translation, so don't worry about that!).

Thank you very much in advance of any help. :)

It it's brand new then it will require formatting!!!!

To do this, right click on your "my computer". Select manage, storage,then disk management. Your new hard drive will appear on the right hand side, you need to right click on it ans select format!!!!

That should fix your problem!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back