Second Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

gale

Have XP installed on a small HD,C:, and a CD-RW,D:. Installed a second HD with XP for additional space. However, it is now E: with my ROM still being D:. When I boot up I can choose C: or E:. When I boot up in C: I can "see" E: in My Computer or Windows Explorer. Problem is when I boot up in E: there is no C: listed. Any help

I had this problem when I partitioned the hard drive and installed two operating systems.
NTFS drives can read FAT32 but FAT32 drives cannot read NTFS. The best thing to do is to make the drive that you want all the others to read a FAT32 drive.

Originally posted by lyapunovia
I had this problem when I partitioned the hard drive and installed two operating systems.
NTSC drives can read FAT32 but FAT32 drives cannot read NTSC. The best thing to do is to make the drive that you want all the others to read a FAT32 drive.
Never heard of an NTSC filesystem. :confused: You must be confused PAL. ;)

Doh - what am I like. Terrible start to my posting attempts. Eeek! :rolleyes:

Sorry guys - I will have to have a word with my fingers to type the correct letters. Either that or I need a new brain.

Alopogies :D

Why have you installed xp on both drives if you just want additional space ???

ps nic, being a bit picky eh! I knew along with you what he meant :)

I think the best way to troubleshoot this is to better understand how you worked you cabling. Is the second hard drive on the secondary IDE by itself as a master or on the primary as a slave? How have you worked the cabling with both of the CD units?

Here is why I ask: If the second hard drive is set to slave on the primary, when you boot to the primary drive, you will see the slave. On the other hand, when you boot to the slave, you may/will not see the primary. So to better figure out this problem, it will help if you are specific with all of your cabling for both HDs and both CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back