second video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumr055

Hi TechSpot!!...

at the moment I'm running windows XP with a Geforce FX5500(AGP) with an nvidia driver and 2 screens....

what i am trying to do is add a second video card(nvidia geforce4 MX 420[PCI])

ok, i have the card in, it boots using the 420 and then switches back to the other screen when the drivers kick in....

the problem i appear to be having now is that, I can't install the driver because it tells me that i have a newer version of the driver already installed and asks if i want to over right it. Can any one assist me?

Thanks, Bumross!

ahh, i was once told that dual cards will only work if there the same... ect (2 x 7600gt) 2x 7900gt) 2x 8800 (*dro0ls*) lol but maybe not if u have neaerly done it? :S:S

topps, that is right if u are running them in SLI, but the way he is doing it can be done i think.

thanks, any idea how i would install the driver for the second card without over-righting the new one?...

or have the one driver work for both?

Edit: im not using SLI... i only need the cards for normal stuff... i don't play games really...

isn't SLI for combining the power? and don't you need 2 of the same cards? and if you look up there Nickc says it will work for what im doing but not SLI.

i can't afford it, and im up for working hard...
i only want to try this because i have all the parts already.

EDIT: if i could only be able to make it show up in the properties panel, it could probably work...
but it doesn't even show up as plug and play, even though it boots with that card(PCI)...

there has to have been somebody that has encountered this problem with the driver trying to over-right.

Both drivers should be able to be installed at the same time. Well...I should say I can't think of a good reason why they shouldn't be.

It boots with one card, then switches? That happened on a 6300gs rig i did a while back, but both monitors were on one card.

The only thing I worry about is that your machine will want to use one card and not boot up the other for the second monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back