See Windows XP running on an iPhone 7 without jailbreak

midian182

Staff member

We’ve seen plenty of examples of programs running on devices they weren’t meant to appear on. More often than not, it's Doom (or Doom 2) being played on everything from a printer to a single keyboard key to a Porsche 911. But the latest instance of weird porting involves the installation of Windows XP on an iPhone 7 – all without having to jailbreak the handset.

YouTube channel Hacking Jules has posted a video showing Microsoft’s old OS running on Apple’s latest smartphone. Such sorcery is achieved by side-loading an app through Xcode and running an emulator called iBox.

All the required files and an explanation of how install Windows XP can be found on GitHub. But be warned: it’s no simple task, to say the least – having some knowledge of C or C++ helps. And at the end of the day, it’s really nothing more than a party trick, albeit a pretty cool one (though that may depend on the kind of parties you attend).

Even with the iPhone 7’s fairly beefy hardware, you’re not going to be able to do very much in Windows due to the amount of power used up by the emulator. Even solitaire is out of reach, but at least you can have some fun with the calculator...

Maybe with a lot of tweaking, someone could get Doom working on a version of Windows XP that’s running on an iPhone 7. Now that would be very impressive.

Permalink to story.

Uhm, if you want windows on a phone, why not go buy a Windows phone? It's like buying a Mac to run Windows.

Uhm, if you want windows on a phone, why not go buy a Windows phone? It's like buying a Mac to run Windows.

Because Windows Phone still has little to do with the desktop version of Windows. The Surface Phone which apparently isn't coming anymore is supposed to deliver the desktop Windows experience on a mobile phone. Letting you install every Program and so on.

Because Windows Phone still has little to do with the desktop version of Windows. The Surface Phone which apparently isn't coming anymore is supposed to deliver the desktop Windows experience on a mobile phone. Letting you install every Program and so on.

Actually, a Windows phone has more to do with Windows than that of an Apple iOS phone. Go ahead, knock yourself out with a Windows calculator.

I'm not impressed until I see Windows XP emulated inside of DOOM emulated in Minecraft.

Well, why the hell not? They've created working computers inside of Minecraft! Even a working terminal!

....Dont tell me it can't be done!

Actually this idea is not a very bad idea... the bad idea is trying to buy a Windows PC to run iOS on.... As a PC/Windows/android guy, I really dislike Apple's software, however, the hardware and materials and way they design their products is really nice, so running Windows on superior hardware is always an interest. Alternatively, of course, you can buy a nice well designed Windows computer, but if you've handled Apples products, you will notice they are quite sleek and just have a nice feel to them.

I actually accidentally ran Windows on a Macbook Pro one time. Failed hard drive, reused an old one. Had Windows 7 on it, it booted up and ran, no real serious issues (a few missing drivers though of course) but it worked pretty well! I was pretty surprised! No lie.

Actually this idea is not a very bad idea... the bad idea is trying to buy a Windows PC to run iOS on.... As a PC/Windows/android guy, I really dislike Apple's software, however, the hardware and materials and way they design their products is really nice, so running Windows on superior hardware is always an interest. Alternatively, of course, you can buy a nice well designed Windows computer, but if you've handled Apples products, you will notice they are quite sleek and just have a nice feel to them.

I actually accidentally ran Windows on a Macbook Pro one time. Failed hard drive, reused an old one. Had Windows 7 on it, it booted up and ran, no real serious issues (a few missing drivers though of course) but it worked pretty well! I was pretty surprised! No lie.

Both the Macbooks I have found at the dump have only windows on them, never ran mac OS on them. I get what your saying about the hardware to a extent but they still have there issues/ tradeoffs, my 2011 macbook pro 17" is a prime example of that.

I'm not impressed until I see Windows XP emulated inside of DOOM emulated in Minecraft.

Well, why the hell not? They've created working computers inside of Minecraft! Even a working terminal!

....Dont tell me it can't be done!
Actually there's videos out there if people who got dos and doom to run in the emulator terminals in doom 3 so something like that's not out of the question!

I had a the same xperience, was putting a smaller capacity ssd in my macbookpro as I was selling it. It had windows whatever on the drive. To my complete surprise it booted up and was ready to go. Freaked the **** outta me. However I did not take whatever pyscotropic substances you did to even think of deliberately running windows on ANY PLATFORM!

Back