Seemingly random computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardesco

Hello everyone,

I really appreciate the earlier help I got regarding debugging a BSOD message I was getting. It substantially cut down on the number of computer freezes I've been seeing lately after fixing the kernel issue with Symantec Antivirus' real time scanning.

However, there is one type of freeze that continues to haunt me, and I have absolutely no idea as to how to go about getting rid of it. Basically, the computer will simply lock up--the screen image will stay there, but the mouse, keyboard will be unresponsive and the power will still remain on. This freeze does not create a BSOD. The last time this happened, there was an error event in the system log for something called "sbp2port", but I'm not sure if it's related or not. I do regular antivirus scans and regular anti-spyware scans with programs such as spybot, so I don't think it's a malware issue. Any ideas as to what I should look into?

I should also note that the freeze seems to happen when I'm doing non-intensive tasks like browsing the web with firefox or watching youtube videos, and I am sometimes greeted by it if I leave my computer for a few minutes, only to return to a frozen machine.

Well I did a search for the sbp2port and this is some of the information I found.

Description: sbp2port.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. The file size on Windows XP is 43136 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. File sbp2port.sys is a Windows system file. The program is not visible. The file is a Microsoft signed file. There is no detailed description of this service. sbp2port.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as sbp2port.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the sbp2port.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

I've also read it has to do with Firewire 1394 or some kind of network connection to an older operating system. I'm just going to give the typical advice.

Make sure your windows is updated!
It says you can disable sbp2port.sys through the control panel.
Do a memory test.
Hard Drive test: chkdsk etc etc
Make sure everything is seated properly.
E-mail Bill Gates.

Oh, heh, I had my ipod plugged in. Still not sure if that's at all related to the freezing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back