Sempron 64 compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
i was planning on buying this processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104245
And was wondering if there is any motherboards that will recognize and use it to its potential without flashing the bios, because i know the processor is somewhat new, and most reviews say that they have to tweak bios and mess around with things. Im looking to not spend more then 100 dollars on a Mobo..
and also have the mobo be on newegg, im kind of new to this, so thats why im asking this question. Im expeirenced at like using computers and such, but i have only assembled one (this one) Thank you guys for your help!
-ryan

What do you plan to use your new computer for? If you simply need something for browsing the internet, then the sempron will be fine, but you should know that those sempron CPUs are built as a budget level part. The Athlon CPUs are far superior to the semprons in every way. Is there any particular reason that you are wanting to build a system around that particular CPU?

I mainly will be using it to play world of warcraft and counter strike source... im kind of under a tight budget of 250.00 so i dont know what to buy (it needs to be a processor and mobo at least)

You are wanting to spend $250 on motherboard and processor right? What parts are you planning on re-using? Specifically, can you give us the details of your current power supply, Ram (not only how much memory the ram is, but it's speed in Mhz), and video card.

If you get a new motherboard, chances are your old ram will be too slow for it. There is also a chance that your current power supply will not have enough juice for the new system. And finally, if you are wanting to build for gaming, arguably the most important part is your video card.

Your hard drive, CD/dvd drives etc. and case can probably be carried over.

Just some rambling thoughts...

right now i use an old video card which still serves me well and doesnt lag any of my games, its a geforce 4 mx440, i always get decent fps with it, graphics are pretty rough though. i also got 1 chip of pc2700 ram (512mb) and one chip of pc2100 256 mb ram. the current power supply is 250W i beleive.

so far i got this in my cart at newegg
sempron 2800+ 64bit
512 pc-3200 ram
biostar NF325-A7
thats abouit 180 dollars right there, should i do that, or should buy this:
http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/promo/Biostar/index.html
thanks for the help

I believe that geforce4 card comes in both the 8X and 4X version. Do you know which one yours is? It will be a key point in deciding which motherboard you upgrade to.

And I'm a little worried about that PSU of yours handling a newer motherboard/cpu... one sec, I will give you a link for calculating what kind of PSU you'll need to power your new system.

it is an 8x,
BTW heres my current system if it helps any
amd athlon xp 2400+ (1.99 gz)
768 mb ram
crappy mobo (was 17$ on newegg, pc-chips mobo)
60gig hard drive (plenty for me)
cdrw drive
floppy drive

I'm still looking at that motherboard you are considering. In the meantime, use this link to see if your current PSU is going to be enough. Add about 30% to the final calculation (as that is your MINIMUM needs). Click HERE

I had a look at that biostar motherboard you are considering, and for the price that seems like a fine board. As you likely already know, it is not the latest and greatest, and there are faster boards on the market if you are willing to double your price.

Me? I prefer to get the latest and greatest, but I know that not everyone is a FPS freak, and some people actually have some sane minds ;)

That mobo has the nforce3 chipset which ain't bad at all, and the sempron as well should serve you well.

Something to keep in mind, but be warned in advance - this will cost more money.

If you are wanting a board that you will be able to use for a number of years to come, a socket 939 would be recommended. If you get a slower CPU for it now, even an Athlon64 3000 or 3200, you have that socket ready to pop in a new dual core processor sometime next year when prices drop. This also gives you the newer nforce4 chipset which is leaps beyond the nforce3.

But, this means more bucks... like I said, just food for thought. The system you are looking at should be fine for you.

And now for a COMPLETELY different take on it all. Your current CPU is old, but not THAT old. If you are strictly wanting a temporary boost to your current system, I would overclock that CPU a little, and spend my bucks on a new graphics card. I think that this option would actually give you a bigger (gaming) performance leap than springing for a new sempron and motherboard and using your current video card... the semprons are not really made with gaming in mind...

See what some others have to say on this as well.

Thanks for your opinion... One of my main problems is my motherboard lol, it was a bandaid fix for my old m7ncd ultra that died, it was good but not too great, anyways, this mobo i have doesnt even support agp 8x, its only 4x, and the ram is being read really slow, and the boards OC abilities are quite shamefull.
So i may buy the sempron but i am not sure, thanks for the advice, it helped alot.
=)

Aha. With that in mind... I'd have to agree. A new motherboard may be in order here. I am starting to see where you are heading now I think, and I'll go back to what I said before.

That motherboard you are looking at has a reputation for being a solid build with few problems. With that in mind plus that price! It looks like a pretty good deal to me. And as it supports the full 8X for your graphics card, you should actually notice some improvements. Stick some 3200 ram in there and BAMN! You are the fragmaster again.

For PSUs, check out antec's 350watts as a suggestion. Solid PSU for what you need, and decent price. Link HERE

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back