Sending from KMail through GMail's POP service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicRic

Hi. Does anybody have experience using KMail (v1.9.5) in Fedora Core 6 to send messages out through GMail's POP service ?

I'm having problems sending messages, and I had this working through YahooMail's POP service.

The difference is that GMail requires the use of a secured SMTP connection from the email client to their server to be able to send messages out.

This is an extract from their guideline:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.googlemail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
Account Name: your Google Mail username (including @googlemail.com)
Email Address: your full Google Mail email address (username@googlemail.com)
Password: your Google Mail password

Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you will not be able to access your Google Mail messages.
---

These are screenshots of my settings in KMail

I got the Security settings clicking on the "Check what server supports" button.

KMailSending.png

KMailSending-2.png

Do you have any tip to have this working ?

Thnx

You don't need to send custom hostname.

For secure connection, choose SSL instead of TLS. I've had better luck with that, and in fact both clients I have on GMail are using SSL.

BTW, you don't have to send mail through the GMail server to have it appear "From" your GMail address (or "From" any other e-mail address for that matter). Furthermore, some ISPs/networks block SMTP connections to anywhere but their own SMTP relay.

Thanks SoulHarvester, however choosing SSL doesn't work for me.

At first I thought it was a problem in KMail but I tried with Thunderbird and Evolution and got the same problem.

I've been reading in other forums that it is more likely a problem in GMail's server - it works for some people immediately, for others it doesn't work at all or is inconsistent.

As I said, in the past I used KMail with YahooMail connecting through unsecured SMTP access (via port 25), and of course it worked. I decided to go back to YahooMail and I noticed now they also offer secure connection (SSL via port 465) - I tried it and it worked perfectly first try. By the way, I kept the 'Custom Host Name' in place and it still works.

I'm happy with YahooMail.

BRgds

p.s.
Interesting article:

GMail vs YahooMail ?

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-27025.html

... but with all due respect:

Don't think so!

Hi Nodsu, thanks. I have my -let's call it- 'official' email handled by my ISP's mail server and using MS-Outlook 2000 as client. I use YahooMail with KMail on Fedora for my 'non-official' email activities. hehe.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back