Serious choppiness in games/loss FPS after AMD64/K8T Neo2 mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

Okay........I upgraded to an AMD64 3500+ and an MSI K8T Neo2-F mobo. I still have my 1024g ram and a 128m 9800pro. XP Home SP2 with DX9.0c installed. This "new" system is exactlty as my old one, excpet it was an AMD Sempron 2800+ and MSI KT4AV board. Same vid card, same ram......same OS. My HUGE problem here is that now GTL demo, and F1c are seriously choppy in comparison to my OLD setup. I reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. New 5.10cats......I get about 1 frame every 5 secs in GTL, and F1c runs smoother than GTL, but it has chop in the spinner (where the car you've chosen spins horizontally) and it is not anywhere near as smooth as my old setup. I reinstalled both F1c and GTL to see if it made any difference, same thing. I bought the mobo and CPU so that I could RUN GTL......a little resource hog. Well, in an effort to upgrade for a NEW game, my old game(s) runs worse than before. I flashed bios to newest, all drivers are new and updated. Any body have any ideas ?!?!? Sorry, VIA K8T800pro chipset

well ,that via chipset you mentioned isn't around because of its performance. what kind of power supply are you using, and did you upgrade that too when you got the new mbd/cpu?

I have a 500w PSU and had someone look at the numbers and was told it is quite capable of doing the job on this setup.

I get 3 short beeps on boot, I can see no error indication on the screen. A website I came across noted possible RAM issues, but when I swapped the ram out together, and individually in different slots, still 3 short beeps. Anybody have a clue what AMI 3 short beeps might mean as well as ram ??

AMI bios beep codes:

2 Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.

SOURCE

Thanks, we must have crossed in our posts (edit), I just read that and tried it. I find it hard to believe that BOTH dimms would be bad. Ay other suggestions

Have you ran www.memtest.org on your memory to be sure?

If you ran it for a few hours and no errors popped up then....

"If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard."

Yes, flashed to the latest (9.20) AMI. Also updated all the chipset drivers as well. Cmpletely clean and fresh XP install. Is there a good ram tester........I only know of Memtest. Ic an multitask and do desktop programs no problem at all.

fnugen said:
I have a 500w PSU and had someone look at the numbers and was told it is quite capable of doing the job on this setup.

How about posting that info here as well just to double check it? How much power on your 12v lines?

As for your question immediately above, memtest is the best memory test around. Did you run it for a couple hours?

Also, can you give us the details of the ram you are sticking in there? ECC? dual or single sided? 2 sticks or 1? etc.

Reference for others who want to help out: his motherboard is HERE

Okay, stupid question time.......how do I know what "ECC" is?? It is 2 sticks of 512, oversight on my part when purchasing but didn't notice one is PC3200 the otherPC2700. If double sided means ram chips on both sides of the stick, then yes, if not...please tell me what double sided is.

my PSU stats are as such: +3.3=30a, +5=38a, -5=.5a, +12=20a, -12=.8a, +5vsb=2

Hope this little bit is of help

his chipset doesn't support ECC DRAM. i reccomend that you run cpu-z and show us the information in the memory and SPD tabs (attach a screenshot perhaps), as said program will accurately display all the RAM specs we need.

Okay, here are 3 screens. memory, and slot 1 and slot 2. Let me know if it tells you anything. A funny thing as well with PCMark02......when reviewing the system info, it says AGP is possible 4x, 8x but shows it as set to 2x. My BIOS has it as 8x. I double checked it, is this a wonky thing with windows, misrepresenting some info ??

How come when I attached my 3 screens nothing showed up here ?? I browsed, and uploaded as the manage attachments offers....but noting uploaded. I saved them as JPEG in paint. Not installing all my software until it is running right.

your bios can be set to a maximum AGP speed, but if the card runs slower it will drop down accordingly. what says CPU-z of this spec?

there is a limit on the size of attached files, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back