Seriouse speed issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hey guys

Ive been on my laptop for a bit recently and suddenly went on it today and i dont seems to be able to close any programs or run things anywere as fast as normal. For example folders opening are really slow and if i close them they crash!. Also things like virus checking is as slow as a bug and as for fire wall (zone alarm)the little icons popping up telling me its blocked somethig almost stop the entire show!. Its a Dell inspiron, Core Duo 2, 1GB of ram with windows XP home. Its never been as slow as this and im stumped because CPU usage never goes over 4%, temperatures are fine and ive got 88GB out of a 120GB hard drive left. Ive donethings like disk clean up and also removing the system restore points. :confused: please help!!!!! PLEASE

Thanks!!

(hope this is the rigt forum cos its a laptop but if not sorry :p)

you'll get lots of help here BUT FIRST try start, run, 'sfc /scannow' (no quotes - you may have some driver problems

Thread moved to our Security and the Web forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of rev_olie only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

hey again

Ive done all of the logs etc for you and i hope of done them all well hehe. Please tell me if ive got anymore problems or if im missing anything.

Thanks

p.s the avg root kit result came back negative

There`s an awful lot of stuff in your Combofix log, that I can`t find any info for. That doesn`t necessarily means it`s bad, but it`s worth seeing if you have anything bad lurking on your system.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop. The Avenger script is attached to the bottom of this post.

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as a fresh Combofix log.

Download the free Superantispyware programme. Install the programme and run the Updates.

Run SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Preferences, click on the tab: Scanning Control, click to check-mark everything under: Scanner Options. Click "Close". Now, click on Scan your Computer.... Check-mark hard drive(s). Enable Perform Complete Scan. Click "Next." It may take a while to scan your entire computer.

Post the Superantispyware log

This thread is for the use of rev_olie only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

# Relaunch SUPERAntispyware
# Click Preferences | Statistics/Logs
# Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
# If there are several logs, select the most recent and press View log. The SAS scan log will be displayed in your default text editor.
# If you are posting a HJT log, and any threats (excuding cookies) were found - copy and paste the SAS Scan Log results in your HJT topic - along with your HJT log.
# Click Close to exit the program.

right her we are the rest of the logs. Im just going to say thought that my computer is still slow but at least we can rule out viruses :D

The one called 2log is the combo fix logg file :grinthumb

Everything looks clean. Disable the AVG Antispyware guard.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

AVG Anti-Spyware Guard

Close the services window.

This should help to reduce system resources.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

Go and read this thread HERE for info on how to speed up your system.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Great thanks Howard you know you really should wear a superman outfit it would suit the moment.

Im going to carry all this out and do it on my desktop beause thts also doing the same sort of thig althought it is old so il ask you to have a look at thos logs when my GCSEs are over so il post those sometime in the next 2 weeks

Thanks again :wave::wave:

right i have tryed to do those instructions on my desktop and its a real problem!!. I can just about log on and thats it. AVG wont scan anything, Super Sypware wont install and Spybot SaD wont open (it crashes EVERYTHING crashes). I cant even get to system restore throught the prgram menus because that sticks and doesnt do anything. I REALLY am screwed. Also to add to that i can even use the run command menu

That`s not good.

I suggest you backup your important data and reformat, that should hopefully solve your problems.

Could you guide me throught or show me somewere with instructions on how to reformat because ive never done it befor unless its to do with the recovery diskette that come with my pc because if it is im buggered because the PC tech that repaired my PC last got rid of the partition that had the ghost copy of my backup on it and so the disk no longer works :dead:

no im afraid not because my PC is 7+ years old well the desktop im trying to fix and so only came with the recoverd disk which infact is a floppy disk so im kinda stuck but il look again 2moro cos its thundering and i dernt leave my PC on lol :)

Oh dear, I`m sorry to hear that. Without a Windows cd, you`re out of luck I`m afraid. What version of Windows are you currently running?

I recommend you purchase a copy of Windows asap.

erm its Windows XP professional for some reason but when it was on origionally XP Home. How much is windows XP home these days?

Hi,

Prices for an original copy of XP home Edition can be found here.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

right so thats about 50GBP imguessing ok il look into nagging the parents thanks p.s whats a momok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back