Server-side programming for a c++ noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_hz

Hey!

I've been doing a lotta stuff in flash lately, but I now I'd like to learn some server-side so I can do really neat stuff.
I know general c++ (I can create cmdline apps), but I don't know how to program for any APIs and I've never used it for anything usefull (well except a bogus-file creater).

So if I'm used to c++ (and actionscript) syntax what would be the easiest serverside stuff for me?

(not sure if this was the right place to put this)

"Serverside"? If you mean active content for web pages, then C++ is not the tool for it. You use interpreted languages like PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, TCL or such for that. You can also use Java for certain things if you think that everyone visiting your website has a kickass connection and a fast computer.

If you mean UNIX programming, then there's nothing different to it that normal programming. You include the right headers and call the system functions just like any other.

I meant what is the easiest serverside language for me to learn when I'm used to the syntax of c++.
What interpreted language(s) looks the most like c++?

And I'm not currently on unix.

I don't know of any that look like C++.. C doesn't really have a structure suitable for interpretation. Java looks a lot like C++, but it is more of a client-side thing.
All the script languages have an easy and pretty readable syntax. Some are cleaner and more persistent than others of course. You may be more comfortable with object-oriented languages like Ruby or Python. All of them are available for Windows too.

The language for dynamic content is PHP of course and unless you have access to the web server itself, then usually PHP is the only thing you are allowed to work with anyway. ASP if you are unlucky enough to have a Microsoft webserver..

I suggest you decide whether you want to bother with anything but PHP. Take a look at it. Only if it really puts you off, look at the other candidates.

The client-side dynamic stuff is Javascript(plus a few variations) and Java.
The connection from the client to the server is the CGI interface.
The <form action='foo' ...> will invoke the 'foo' thingie whatever it is;
a shell script, a binary compiled program, or some other script of your favorite
language (Perl, PHP, Tcltk, Python....).

Your C++ background is Object Oriented, so investigate those languages that
support your background. The big issue for the server-side, is to be sure
your language is integrated into the web-server itself. Why? It's just too costly
to start a new program for every client 'submit'. Perl, PHP and others have been
integrated into the server so that the language interpreter is 'already resident' and
only needs the GET/PUT data to act upon.

Btw; JSP (Java Server Pages) via Tomcat is OO, although JAVA, not C++

A strong contender to be considered is Perl due to the massive amount of preexisting
code you can use (non-commercially), but I do hate the grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back