Setting Up a Wireless Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

si007

My brother wants to set up a way for his wife, who is partially sighted, to be able to print from her laptop via a wireless connection. At the moment she has to unplug the printer cable from the desktop PC and plug it into her laptop which she finds difficult due to her sight problems. Both he and I have no idea what any of this involves so if anyone can shed some light on this problem I would be most grateful. The OS they use is Windows 2000 Pro.

Cheers.

Si
:cool:

:eek: Never heard of such a thing!

What kind of connection does the printer use? Parallel or USB?

Yeah, its called a 'Wireless Network' and it will run you about $300 for all the parts to make it work like that. The best part is that you won't ever have to unplug anything.

@ Vehementi, I think it's a parallel connection.
@ PHATMAN5050, what parts would he actually need to set it up. Is it a case of a PCMCIA card for the laptop and a .........err.........wireless.....err.....thingy .........(you know the thing with the aerials!) for the main PC?

Cheers guys.

Si
:cool:

You could buy a Linksys 4Port Router w/ Wireless capabilities and a wireless network card for the laptop. Do you already have a home network and does the laptop already have a network connection?

PHATMAN's probably right, setting up a home network would be the best idea.
You may only have to buy a Wireless NIC PCMCIA card, and a wireless NIC PCI card for the PC that the printer's connected to presently, and set up a network that way.

Having a wireless network in this fashion will also allow you to use the main PC for the internet connection, by designating it as the gateway, and you can swap files back & forth as well :cool:

Love your sig...

No, you would not need a wireless card for the desktop as the Linksys 2.4ghz Router w/ Wireless capabilities can handle 4 wired users and like 39 wireless users.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
No, you would not need a wireless card for the desktop as the Linksys 2.4ghz Router w/ Wireless capabilities can handle 4 wired users and like 39 wireless users.

I'm talking about just setting the network up as 2 computers, the laptop and the desktop, connected to each other, without the use of a hub ;)

I don't think you can have a wireless network without a wireless routing device like an access point or router with wirless capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back