Several Piracy Groups Busted Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

At approximately 10 AM, local police in a wide spread coordinated effort raided over 300 homes and offices associated with top warez providers. The raids took place in Germany, Austria, Holland, Poland and the Czech Republic. According to GVU (translated to German Federation Against Copyright Theft), over 30 individuals were arrested in the raids. The website of GVU is now under hard DDoS attack. The raids also yielded over 20 servers, which provided FTP (File Transfer Protocol) access to individuals belonging to the release groups. GVU claims the warez groups were responsible for the proliferation “of illegal copies of films, computer games, music and user software.” The enforcement raids were the culmination of the GVU’s investigative efforts, with legal follow-through provided by the prosecutor’s offices in Duesseldorf and Frankfurt.

So it appears at least a few of these groups are no longer going to exist. Good news for software makers, bad news if you often dl releases from those groups.

Check Releaselog's Site for the full article, and several .nfo releases from affected groups.

Edit: Comments on the linked page contain offensive language, do not scroll down past the article on that page if you can't handle it.

hard to say

SNG- hard to tell from your brief comment how you feel about this. I dunno-- I'm on disability, so I'm as broke as anybody, but if I spent a few thousand (few hundred thousand?) researching, developing, producing something, I don't think I'd like people snatching it and giving it away without my permission. :confused:

If I post a news item, I intentionally leave out my personal view on the subject. Allowing you and others who might respond to have an opinion that isn't slanted by how I presented the article. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back