SFC in Windows ME (Internet Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3M1ghtyD8

Is there a tool like SFC in Windows (ME) Muppet Edition?

I have a problem with the internet connection on my Uncle's PC (I assume its Internet Explorer, Winsock or TCP/IP Protocol that is the problem), in that the modem dials, and says that it is connected, but Internet Explorer is unable to find any pages and displays the "This Page cannot be Displayed" screen. Ping Commands work, but Internet Explorer does not. Also, neither of the 2 PCs connecting through this PC with ICS can access the web.

On WinXP I would simply have put the Windows CD in and used SFC to replace all of the system files to default, but I can't find a similar option in ME.

It will be Reformatted eventually (probably with WinME/WinXP Dual Boot), but i could do with some kind of temporary fix until then. Any Suggestions ?

Windows ME does have a System Restore utility much like Windows XP. If your system was working at some point in the near past, then you might give that a try.:cool:

There is also a System File Checker Utility ...

Windows ME SFC Options

Oh, and before I forget, your issue is a known Windows ME problem (I know about it:D) and running SFC won't fix it.

To fix it here's what to do ...

1. Go to ADD/Remove Programs, then select Add/Remove Windows Components (or something like that).
2. Uninstall Dial Up Networking and Internet Connection Sharing.
3. Reboot
4. Reinstall Dial Up Networking.
5. Reboot.

Everything should now work!

I don't quite know why this works, but I found that Dial Up Networking does not install properly when installed with Windows ME. I think there may be another component that also needs uninstalling, but I cannot remember what it was. Give my suggestion a try and let me know how you get on. Prepare to be surprised.:grinthumb

There is one, but I do not think it is installed by default.

If you are able to access the internet using other methods (Such as FTP over internet, browsing with Netscape, pinging internet servers etc..), then there IS a problem I'm famliar with that will cause this.

This is caused by there by having multiple copies of Winsock.dll, Wsock32.dll, or Wsock.vxd.. But Microsoft has a much better explanation and more tips than I could offer you:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241344

Originally posted by Rick
If you are able to access the internet using other methods (Such as FTP over internet, browsing with Netscape, pinging internet servers etc..), then there IS a problem I'm famliar with that will cause this.
My problem wasn't that exactly. I coudn't browse through netscape and I couldn't use ftp or tracert, but I was able to still talk on mIRC. Was told it was a DNS issue. Anyway it resloved itself when I put win 2k on it.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
My problem wasn't that exactly. I coudn't browse through netscape and I couldn't use ftp or tracert, but I was able to still talk on mIRC. Was told it was a DNS issue. Anyway it resloved itself when I put win 2k on it.

... The right thing to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back