Shared IRQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Gday

I have a custom built PC (not by me), I was for a time there experiencing HUGE latency issues. I thought it may have been time for some device upgrades. I flashed the BIOS to the latest. Contacted Nvidia to find out what was the latest forceware needed for my Win2k OS. Sent them my System Information.

The reply I got back was :-
Problem 1--

Two devices, the GeForce 7600 GT graphics card and the Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller are assigned to the same IRQ 18. This should not be the case since each individual device should have its own IRQ.

Solution 1--

Please get in touch with your motherboard manufacturer or your system manufacturer to assign independent IRQs to the graphics card and the OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller .

All I can say is huh????

My motherboard is a Gigabyte, and they seem to take forever to respond to any form of tech support.

I have attached a zip file with my system info, pasting it into word you couldnt read it, font was far too small.

I googled and googled but couldn't find any answers.

On the upside, my PC for the moment is running back to normal i.e. no latency issues. However if it happens again I would like to know how to fix the problem.

BTW I am not sure if I have posted this in the correct forum

It`s quite common for devices to have the same IRQ,without problems.

Standard IRQ fixes -

1.Swap devices in to different slots.

2.Uninstall each device.Then reinstall each device.

3.Uninstall all the devices in the Device Manager that your not using.

This is a good performance tweak in itself.

5.Update or upgrade the devices.

To assign IRQs manually,see HERE (bottom of page).

I'be had shared IRQ's since W95.It has never seemed to be a problem
Or a concern.I stay with installed defaults.
Heres mine.Note 17 and 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back