SharedDocs series of problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried to connect my SharedDocs, and tried to connect to other computers on my network in the past few days without success --that's why I'm here, of course.

Two days ago I noticed to not be able to delete a folder with pictures from SharedDocs under MY COMPUTER, but was able to do so by accessing it's options, sharing it, and granting all rights to other users.

Next thing, I could not rename it from "Documents" to "SharedDocs" under its SHARING tab... Instead, when I'd try to type something, the letter S would uncheck (or check afterwards) the option to "Share this folder in the network". Completely nuts, even if I had highlighted the word "Documents", it would keep thinking I was using keyboard shortcuts.

:mad:Now, I don't have a clue of what is going on, these are just the sympthoms.
I hope someone is capable of helping me out soon, before I take a sledge-hammer and fix any future problem.

Proton151 said:
Next thing, I could not rename it from "Documents" to "SharedDocs" under its SHARING tab... Instead, when I'd try to type something, the letter S would uncheck (or check afterwards) the option to "Share this folder in the network". Completely nuts, even if I had highlighted the word "Documents", it would keep thinking I was using keyboard shortcuts.
keyboard shortcuts implies the ALT key is down. Can you type normally into
other program windows, eg: Notepad?

Renaming Documents might not work due to any open window on that directory or
any active program running from that or any subdirectory. I've used SharedDocs as a
Share Name before, but that does not change the real directory of course.

To allow add/delete/modify shared files, did you check enable 'allow others to modify documents'?

Actually, I'm not even given the option to delete the folder, I believe this is due to (the SharedDocs folder) being under MY COMPUTER. When I unshare it, I can't even access it's contents, it's very annoying.

Another thing is: somehow there was a copy of the folder under My Documents, and whenever I changed the name of this copy, it would change the name of the equally-named folder under MY COMPUTER. But I was able to eliminate the one under My Documents.

By now I already managed to erase the visible contents of the SharedDocs under MY COMPUTER by sharing the folder, and giving full rights to everyone. Though, it still contains hidden system files ("Desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db") that I'm not about to delete just yet, even though they're not crucial for the computer to function properly.

I simply cannot erase this folder and share (or even share/broadcast it on the home network), and it used to be accessible by everyone, I don't know what I could have done to make this folder such problem. Hope this gives you more idea of what is going on.

Thanks a lot for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back