Sharing TIF's in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, XP has a thing called "simple file sharing". I guess it could be used (I wonder how simple things can get with XP). For more powerful file/directory sharing, if I remember correctly, you need to be a power-user or administrator.
Just right-click a directory and select "Sharing and Security".

I think that only applies to a network. I'm refering to the different profiles on my PC. ( wife's, kid's)

A normal directory created under, say, C:\, should be accessible to anyone. Some special directories like other people's profiles & "C:\System Volume information" aren't accessible for normal users.
So, just move the directory so that others can access it.
btw. Is this TIF folder just Tagged Image Format files or something special?

The network sharing also doubles as local sharing too.

Make sure "Make folder Private" is not checked.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Is this TIF folder just Tagged Image Format files or something special?
Could he be referring to Temporary Internet Files?

Yes, Temporary Internet Files.:) I moved mine to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. I'm wondering if I can also move my wife's and kid's which are stored in their own profiles or will it cause a conflict?

Originally posted by Thunder
Yes, Temporary Internet Files.:) I moved mine to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. I'm wondering if I can also move my wife's and kid's which are stored in their own profiles or will it cause a conflict?

There should not be a problem, providing you keep the folder outside of the "Document and Settings/username" folder. The rest of the hard disk is accessible by even guests I would imagine, so placing your "TIF" folder in some place such as C:\TIF or C:\Windows\TIF should work fine.

Of course, you'll have to change the TIF directory for their profile too, so their account looks for the same folder you are using instead of the default one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back