Shipments of 5G-enabled smartphones grew six percent in the first quarter

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Shipments of 5G-capable smartphones increased six percent quarter over quarter to reach a record high of 135.7 million units during the first quarter of 2021, Strategy Analytics said as part of its latest research report. Apple took home the biggest slice of the pie but it was Samsung and Vivo that saw the most growth.

Samsung was found to be the world’s fastest growing 5G smartphone vendor. Shipments of 5G-enabled Samsung phones increased 79 percent QoQ, to 17 million devices in Q1. Vivo’s 5G phone shipments were up 62 percent and Oppo boosted shipments by 55 percent during the same period.

Apple saw shipments of 5G-enabled iPhones drop 23 percent in the first quarter compared to Q4 when it had what Strategy Analytics described as a “blowout” quarter with the new iPhones being popular as gifts during the holiday season. Still, Apple was responsible for 29.8 percent of 5G shipments with 40.4 million units moved in Q1.

Strategy Analytics director Woody Oh noted Samsung’s explosive 5G growth, but also highlighted the company’s portfolio gap in China. “Samsung has extremely low presence in China, the world’s biggest 5G market, and this remains a significant drag on the vendor’s outlook,” Oh added.

In the same respect, Chinese vendors don’t have much of a presence in the US, which will limit their ability to grow revenue and profit outside of their home market.

Image credit Lukmanazis

Permalink to story.

My take on 5G, is the same as it was with 4G LTE. I can wait a year or two.
When 4G LTE came along, everyone scrambled to buy a new phone....almost
16 months passed before LTE came to the area I live in. By then, the price came
down on the phones, and it was less expensive to upgrade. Even then, I waited
an entire year, just to be sure all of the "bugs" were fixed. I'm not an eager beaver
when it comes to roll outs of new tech. Let the early adopters put up with the headaches.
It was almost 4 years after the smart watch, before I finally got one.

Samsung was pretty much giving away the new S21. I figured this was why. To produce numbers showing extreme adoption of their new 5G phones. I traded a S9 straight up for an S21. They were also accepting other brands. Not sure if the promotion is still happening. I bought a cheap S9 off swappa then went and traded it in for another S21 as a back up.

My take on 5G, is the same as it was with 4G LTE. I can wait a year or two.
When 4G LTE came along, everyone scrambled to buy a new phone....almost
16 months passed before LTE came to the area I live in. By then, the price came
down on the phones, and it was less expensive to upgrade. Even then, I waited
an entire year, just to be sure all of the "bugs" were fixed. I'm not an eager beaver
when it comes to roll outs of new tech. Let the early adopters put up with the headaches.
It was almost 4 years after the smart watch, before I finally got one.
I got one earlier this year it's been on 5G and a hell of a lot better than the old 4g LTE.

Samsung was pretty much giving away the new S21. I figured this was why. To produce numbers showing extreme adoption of their new 5G phones. I traded a S9 straight up for an S21. They were also accepting other brands. Not sure if the promotion is still happening. I bought a cheap S9 off swappa then went and traded it in for another S21 as a back up.

I got one earlier this year it's been on 5G and a hell of a lot better than the old 4g LTE.
Well, I live out here in flyover country. less than 200k population. Lots of hills...

Back