Shocking hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtickner1

my aunties comp got broken in a thunder storm and she gave it to me to see if i could get the stuff of her hard drive. i was wondering if it would break my computer if i put it in my comp, and do i have to do something cause its got windows installed on it?
i took the sound blaster out of it and it works in my comp so the hard drive could still be ok,

thanks

It is likely fine, probably the only thing that is wrong with hers is the Power Supply. Now if it was a huge lightning strike that broke other things in the house there may be more wrong, but I doubt it.

So you may want to just pick up a new power supply and try that before you end up getting her a new comp.

To answer your question, yes you can hook the hard drive up to your computer without any problems, provided you have a place to hook it up. You won't be able to boot from that hard drive though, at least not without a lot of problems. The best way to do it is to set it up as a slave drive on the same channel (ide ribbon) as your existing hard drive, make sure your drive is set to Master when you do this and not cable select. If the drives are sata you won't have to worry about that.

So you may want to just pick up a new power supply and try that before you end up getting her a new comp.

she had already got a new one before she told me :D

ill get back to you once iv tried everything, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back