Should I ditch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 year old Pentium 3, 733 mhz, 10 gig hard drive. Can't access any files - I get message "explorer has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL". Also get message "Your display adapter is not configured properly. To correct click OK to start Hardware Installation Wizard" and I don't seem to have the hardware installation disk. And, all of a sudden, the monitor only will show 16 colors (probably related to display adapter problem).
I've turned it off overnight to let it rest and regroup, but still same problems. Clock still runs and updates time, screen-saver still runs through log of pictures, but can't do anything on it.

Does this sound like an easy fix - worth messing with - or should I ditch it?

Well your discussing this on a PC Enthuthiast website, so I would have told you to ditch it years ago.

A simple approach to this problem would be to format and reinstall the OS.

But if you don't want to do that, it would help if you stated what Windows version you have (98, ME, XP....). I Googled your file error and it seems to be an error related to Windows ME and a registry problem.

Wait...its too early to ditch your pc. MoRulez is right. Your problem is more likely to be the effect of corrupted Operating System, so reformat you pc and install a fresh copy of windows.

Probably corrupted drivers, actually - what's your video card? It's not listed in your profile. Go to your manufacturer's website and download the new ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back