Should I get a new MoBo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! :wave:
I'm currently running a 2 year old computer. I'm beginning to realize just how cheap my MoBo (MS-6577) is. I think my processor (P4 2.53 GHz) is "fine" and my nVidia GeForce 440 MX 128 MB does "alright." (Also I just OC'd the graphics card from 250 MHz / 300 MHz to 310 MHz / 460 MHz so it works even better). And I've got 512 MB PC2100 RAM.

So here's where I need advice...
I basically want to increase the performance without totally upgrading my system. Should I:

1) Get more PC2100 RAM
2) Get a better graphics card
3) Get a better MoBo that can support better RAM and then get better RAM.

Oh and in general can one use PC2100 and say PC3200 on the same board at once (assuming both are supported)? I'd hate to just toss my 512 MB stick.

I would replace the board. That leaves you open for better upgrades down the road. There is a good chance that with a new board you can run your PC2100 memory at 2700 and you can probably OC your processor. Also some of the MX440's were 8x. If yours is it will give you better performance in a board with 8x AGP.

Cool... thanks for the advice. I never thought about overclocking the RAM. My GeForce is actually a 4X since, my current board doesn't have 8X. But at least I could then upgrade the graphics card later.

Anyone have any advice as to any nice socket478 boards? :grinthumb

Son of Sam said:
ill answer this one before zephead does. he loves this board. the Intel D865PERL. all i know is he wont shut up about it. im sure he'll be glad to give you the specs. or check out intel site

Cool... looks great, might not fit though, I'll have to power down and check out my case. Maybe zephead knows if you can use PC2100 and PC3200 together on it?

:( alas... my case cannot accomodate the Intel D865PERL :(
The best I could tell with all my components in, is the board is 9.6" x 9.6"
The board is described as uATX but I don't know what that means. Would mATX work?

Any other MoBo ideas?

skatea23 said:

I'm currently running a 2 year old computer. I'm beginning to realize just how cheap my MoBo (MS-6577) is. I think my processor (P4 2.53 GHz) is "fine" and my nVidia GeForce 440 MX 128 MB does "alright." (Also I just OC'd the graphics card from 250 MHz / 300 MHz to 310 MHz / 460 MHz so it works even better). And I've got 512 MB PC2100 RAM.

So here's where I need advice...
I basically want to increase the performance without totally upgrading my system. Should I:

1) Get more PC2100 RAM
2) Get a better graphics card
3) Get a better MoBo that can support better RAM and then get better RAM.

Definitely 2, get a better graphics card.

Take a look at where your card usually ranks: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003

Wow - guess my card does suck. And here I thought it was pretty good. Of course their settings are lower than mine and they make no mention of the amount of memory on the card they used.

However, after I did some quick looking, are there even any graphics cards worth investing in that work with a 4X AGP slot?

Thanks! I also found this little note on another forum.

I wouldn't invest in a new mobo over it, I'd just stick with 4x, you're not going to see crazy performance gains if you buy an 8x mobo specifically for that reason, the bandwidth of AGP 4x is sufficient.

Don't mix different speed RAM.
If a 2100 and a 3200 are on the same mobo (provided they are both supported in the first place), both will only work at 2100 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back