Should I hurry back to the store? I might've gotten the wrong video card..

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSO Gamer

wolfram said:
PSO Gamer said:
The only two cards I saw there was Nvidia geforce fx 5200 256Mb, and diamond stealth 2120 radeon 9550. After i cash my paycheck today I'm just going to get one of the two. They're roughly the same price. Which one is better though? The games I play now on my PC does work with my intel extreme graphics 2 card that is built into my Dell, but it jumps around. So I think any video card should be enough to play it properly at normal settings... so which one should I choose?
The Radeon 9550 beats easily the FX5200 :)

Should I try to make an exchange then.... I just bought the other one...then came home and saw the post...

If you are able to, yeah. I would. That 5200 will be better than your integrated, so don't worry if they won't take it back, but of those two cards, I agree with wolfy. The 9550 is the better option.

Bah I need help again...

I was able to make the trade. Hurrah, right?

No.

I seem to have gotten myself into quite a sticky situation here.... apparently my display is currently displaying on two monitors. So I have to keep jumping from monitor to monitor port to complete my task. How do I get the 9250 to display on one screen again?

*Edit: whew... I think I finally got it...x.x

just wondering

In the instructions for my new video card it says before installing to remove any existing video drivers/control applications. Does this mean I get rid of the extreme graphics 2 drivers, or should I just leave it alone. I don't know if it will make a difference in perfomance or not, so I just had to ask. You all seem to know a lot about this sort of thing and have been a big help to me. Thank you.

You should remove any Nvidia drivers (if you installed the FX5200), and any Intel drivers too, using Driver Cleaner PRO (google for it;)

That way you can avoid compatibility problems, or even BSOD's.

Regards :wave:

Also disable the integrated graphics in BIOS if you can. This will reduce the likelyhood of conflicts and free up the memory that the integrated video uses.

Where is Bios located?

My cpu keeps saying its in 100% usage lol...and in my game it looks fine too me then i realize my charcter appears to be on a planet 2x his gravity and other chars on screen are on normal gravity. >_<

The BIOS is accessed by pressing delete at startup.

Just remember that when purchasing video cards in the future, you generally look at the last three digits of the model number. If you compare a GeForce 5200 with Radeon 9550, the 5 and the 9 are the generations, where 200 and 550 are the models.
Another example would be Radeon X800 vs Radeon X1300. The X1300 is not better than the X800.
X and X1 are the generations, 800 and 300 are the models.
The X1300 would be a New Low-End card, and the X800 would be an Old High-End card.

And yes, you should remove your old graphics drivers. Seriously it would be better. Enjoy your new graphics!

Grafficks said:
The BIOS is accessed by pressing delete at startup.

Just remember that when purchasing video cards in the future, you generally look at the last three digits of the model number. If you compare a GeForce 5200 with Radeon 9550, the 5 and the 9 are the generations, where 200 and 550 are the models.
Another example would be Radeon X800 vs Radeon X1300. The X1300 is not better than the X800.
X and X1 are the generations, 800 and 300 are the models.
The X1300 would be a New Low-End card, and the X800 would be an Old High-End card.

And yes, you should remove your old graphics drivers. Seriously it would be better. Enjoy your new graphics!

I tried Delete but my startup screen goes too fast.. plus I don't think it was listed there...-.-

I think my CPU is basically too weak to run the game properly. It goes from barely any usage on my task manager too 100% usage as soon as i start playing the game... so I guess I'm going to have to get a new CPU. Any suggestions on a new CPU that will work with my current motherboard that came with my Dim 3000? The celeron's mhz seems pretty low its under 300 I believe. I'd probably need at least 450MHz plus

You don't have to go into the BIOS if you don't want to or can't. Just make sure you properly manage your graphics drivers.

It's normal for games to be CPU-intensive. CPU usage near 100% on gaming loads should not be problematic, it's quite normal in my opinion.

You think your CPU is under 300 MHz?
Check. Right click My Computer>Properties
A window pops up.
At the bottom, it tells you the name of your CPU and the clock speed, and also the amount of RAM you have.
Verify your assumption with that.

DELETE does not work for all computers to enter BIOS. For some computers(i.e. Dells) you need to press F2 to enter setup. For Dells press F2 when you see the blue Dell logo appear. If you wait to long and you see the windows logo then restart your computer and try to do it again.

Hold on, man. Don't play anything with your BIOS!!!!!!

Here is what you may want to do:

- Uninstall the old driver ---> go to control panel ---> uninstall the "extreme graphics 2 drivers" like you said.

- Right click to my computer (after restart) ----> Manage ----> Device Manager ----> Display Adapters ----> Right click on your old card and disable.

- Now, put the cd driver of the new card in, install it. Then, restart your computer.

Edit: I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000, too. I just pluged my new video card into my mainboard today, so trust me ^_^!

Op2 said:
Hold on, man. Don't play anything with your BIOS!!!!!!

Here is what you may want to do:

- Uninstall the old driver ---> go to control panel ---> uninstall the "extreme graphics 2 drivers" like you said.

- Right click to my computer (after restart) ----> Manage ----> Device Manager ----> Display Adapters ----> Right click on your old card and disable.

- Now, put the cd driver of the new card in, install it. Then, restart your computer.

Edit: I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000, too. I just pluged my new video card into my mainboard today, so trust me ^_^!

Yep, that's basicaly exactly what I did.
I've been experiencing video lag in my game though...-_- but when I set frame skip to 2 it moved just fine...but I don't like the look of it. Frame skip one worked well enough for me. Frame skip 0 looks gorgeous but I move like a tortoise....>_<

What game are you talking about? Just remember we're using Dell Dimension 3000 which is not a gaming computer, so try to set everything to minimum if you want to play a highly graphic game.

I'm using a 3DFuzion FX5500, and I can play Counter Strike: Source easily (I try to set everything to highest level and it still work).

The name of the game I'm playing is Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. I don't really consider it much of a graphical game... I just think one of the components in my computer is outdated or I just simply need more RAM if I want to play it the way I want to play it. The fact that its an online only game may be a factor in my performance. *shrug*

*Edit: after researching vsync, because I was so curious as to what it does... I think I may have come to an conclusion that possibly my monitor is the main source of my video problems I have occassionally. Could this be true? Could it be my monitor. I have the one that comes standardly equipped with a DIM 3000. The current refresh rate is 60 Hx....so if I take it to the highest in conjucntion with my vsync it should have a maximum of 85 fps before causing hiccups and such. So would a new moitor with an even higher refresh rate really make more of a difference, or am I missing something here?

I know that vsync can be disabled, but without it being disabled I heard that if it exceeds the refersh rate set on your monitor it causes video problems. I heard monitors are cheap these days anyway.... Would like to get a flat--panel sometime soon..maybe.

I don't think so man. The monitor is one of the strong point of Dell Dimension 3000, I read good things about it on some websites.

Mine is 17'' Flat Panel Color LCD Monitor . How about yours?

Op2 said:
I don't think so man. The monitor is one of the strong point of Dell Dimension 3000, I read good things about it on some websites.

Mine is 17'' Flat Panel Color LCD Monitor . How about yours?

I don't have a flat panel monitor. I have a CRT.

And what about the specs of your monitor. Like max resolution and max refesh rate and such?

Max. Video Resolution 2048 x 1536
Max. Refresh 75 Hertz

I have a strong feeling that your problem has nothing to do with the monitor.
Oh well, you should wait for someone else who is better in me in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back