Should i replace my HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtafreek24

ok im not going to waste any time here, if possible a short yes or no answer would be appreciated. first of all let me explain. i have been recieving these BSOD stops: driver_not_less_or_equal stop: 0x000000D1, stop: 0x0000008E, stop: bad_pool_caller stop: 0x000000C2. these happened after installing necessary drivers for video. btw this is after reinstalling windows for like the bazillionth time. upon researching these stop errors they all point to bad drivers: go here to see for yourself
after trying to reformatt hd and just reinstalling windows again (because just didnt want to go on a driver hunt) now when i reformatt the hd and the windows files start to copy, one of these stops comes up: stop: 0x0000008E, or 0x00000024 and after researching these it points to NTFS file system bad writing to hd or something like that. and i dont have anything in the comp when trying to reformatt (no vid card etc. just cpu mobo cd rom hd and mushkin stick of 512 mb ram pc 3200 with no errors, i checked it several times) so my question is should i replace the hd?

thanks in advance,
collin

I don`t think you should replace you hard drive just yet.

The fact that you`re getting lots of different stop messages, could be a symptom of faulty ram.

Download the memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes.

Regards Howard :) :)

well ive done this but i suppose ill do it again for longer like you say. can you please tell me which one is the cd bootable one? i see like ten choices but none of them say anything about cd rom bootable.

thanks

Click on download (pre built iso)

Then on under ** Memtest86+ V1.60 (06/27/2005) **

It`s the second download in the list. Pre built iso zip.

Regards Howard :)

hey...... uhhh.. he he um, yeah i just realized something, my stick o memory is a pc 3200 400 mhz and i just looked at my motherboard specs HERE and scroll down to memory.

i think i have a compatability issue :eek: do i??

I am running ddr400 on a 266 machine
maybe if you can still boot go to bios and force setting or over clock see what happens.
I am overclock my 2600+ memory to 285
memory was on sale with rebate and I thought when I up the MB I don't have to buy new Memory
if pc' goes black screen on you, just unplug and reset the cmos jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 20 sec's or so than put back to 1-2 make sure unplugged from wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back