Should I upgrade to dual graphics cards? And if so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

In the interests of thread environmentalism I have searched around for an answer to this but haven't managed. Feel free to direct me to a good link with the information I need.

I'd like to know about dual cards. I currently have a single Geforce 7900 GT/GTO (does anyone know whether the 'GT/GTO' is significant or what it stands for btw?) 256mb card. I remember when I bought the PC I was told I could upgrade to dual cards at any time - so I guess there is an extra port (apologies if my thinking or terminology is incorrect, I'm keen to learn, so please correct me :) ).

Does the second card have to be identical (or is it advisable), or does it just have to have the same amount of memory (I seem to remember this is a good idea with cards (?) of RAM)?

I assumed a 7900 nowadays would be dirt cheap, but this is the cheapest I've found so far at £70 (assuming its the same one, I find it a little difficult to tell :p) but admittedly I'm not sure where to look so perhaps you could advise me on that score (I live in the UK) too.

Finally what can I expect in terms of graphics improvement? I assume it would be more than a simple increase in RAM. I.e. to what extent is it worth making this upgrade?

Many many thanks!

raybay, we really should still help them out.

Ok, here is the thing.

Whether you are talking about SLI, or just having 2 graphics card are 2 completely different things. Having two graphics cards is mainly for using dual/triple monitors.

Using SLI (in Nvidia), or Crossfire (in ATI) is having 2 cards working together to get a performance increase (Last I remember it was approximately 80%).

Syspec

Download and run that program. When it is done, there should be a option named save under File.

If you will post your Specs through your profile, we could help you more. If your motherboard is a SLI capable one, then it would probably be worth making the upgrade.

You see, some games supposedly run better with an sli configuration, but the benchmarks vary.

You seem to be the type of person that could learn a lot about computers, considering you have that urge to learn more.

Sorry - I had put my specs in my profile but it was still on default - don't show.

Looks like my mobo is SLI capable.

Also I was thinking of getting a second monitor anyway - is it possible to somehow attribute one video card to one monitor and another to the other? Is this a significant increase in performance?

Since posting this I've been told that a lot of games don't show any great improvement in graphics with dual cards.

Hey don't shoot the messenger!

And second - I just find having a second monitor really useful. A game client on one screen and a forum on the other etc. etc. May be I've got ADD but I love having more than one thing on the go! In the past I've used a TFT along side an old style but its bad for your eyes :p.

In fact I just ordered that second monitor this morning ^^. \o/

If they are both the same type of card, then you can follow the motherboard manual to put 2 graphics cards in.

kua get a second card if u really like gaming because u will see a performance boost very easily but if its just casual use then dont bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back