should i use firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

I used to use AOL and IE but IE has stopped working now for some reason and so i was wondering whether it was worth getting firefox. would i have to pay anything extra to get firefox and also would AOL and Firefox be able to work differently like AOL and IE?

Aol and FF should work. FF is free and a great program, I definately recomend it!

Korrupt

is firefox basically the internet but for free or something, im always lost as to why i dont have to pay for IE but i do for aol

Firefox and IE are both browsers. IE isn`t really free as you had to pay for Windows. Firefox is completely free. AOL is your ISP and that`s why you have to pay for it.

Regards Howard :)

Think of it this way.. IE (internet browser) is your old '87 corrola. The internet is the roads and streets etc. The Internet Service Provider (AOL) is.. umm.. your engine (and money = fuel).

The car lets you go on the internet to go places, the engine lets the car actualy move from point A to B. Fuel, of course, powers the engine...

If that analogy was applied to Firefox.. i'd say its the 2006 Honda Civic (sedan).. or the beemer :D [but free of course]

AOL does have its own browser but in the only nice way (that won't get me banned :)) to tell you what i think of it.. it sucks.

There probably are places where you can get free internet access but those are rare to come by.. and some few of them are riddled with things that you definately don't need.

Just make sure you make a backup of all your favorites. Firefox loves to lose 'em
I'm a big fan of the FF bookmarks.. especialy the bookmark toolbar thing at the top (its so damn handy) and i havn't lost any except the ones i've deleted manualy.. in fact, i think i have a tad too much bookmarks on my list..

Although if you're talking about IE then yerr..

bobby123 said:
so in theory firefox is free internet?

No, Firefox is a free internet browser.

AOL is your ISP. This allows you to connect to the internet.

For example. I have Firefox and IE as my internet browsers, that is the bits of software that allow me to surf the internet.

My ISP is NTL for which I pay £24:99 per month. This allows me to connect to the internet in the first place. Without paying for an ISP, you wouldn`t be able to access the net at all, regardless of which browser you was using.

Regards Howard :)

i don't think people understand your question

I think other people might be confused as to what you're looking to do.

You were comparing AOL who sells internet access and has their own connection software & own browser with firefox, the name of a browser.

But I think what you were really asking is should you change the company you receive internet access from.

Some good options include Your local phone company, your local cable company, yahoo earthlink etc.

I'd recommend you choose one of the local options as they would probably send a technician by your house to set it up.

Once who is giving you access is out of the way you have several free options for what browsering software to use. Firefox, Opera and IE7 are all good options.

Also you would probably want to get an email program, like thunderbird or the one opera has in their browser. It's not 100% necessary to have an email program on your machine, alot of the time you can acess your email through an online account like yahoo, hotmail or google.

BUT before you leave AOL you should upgrade to their newest browser. It looks like to be very conviently organized into a 4 pane view, with address, chat and browser all in teh same view.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/14/AR2006101400091.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back