Shut down fine now only black screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody im new here so bear wit me :)
GA-81955x Royal, P4 3.0 dual core, pny 6600gt, 2x 1gb ocr, xion case and power supply(450w). Built myself worked fine for a year.
Last time i shut it down fine and now it wont boot not even into bios(black screen). I've unplugged everything except for power supply(of course), MB, Video card, ram(even tried each stick separate), and cpu. It still just gives me a black screen Tried different monitor nothing:( Maybe video card, MB, or psu?
Any help greatly appreciated! Thanx so much.

What POST results do you get? One beep or mutiple? This sounds like either PSU or motherboard - have you got another PSU to check this?

no beeps just fans come on. i can shut it off by holding the power button and open and close the cd drive but the monitor never wakes up or anything.. i do have another psu to try which i'm gonna do this afternoon.

no POST beeps is not good news. Power off.
Try taking the RAM and the graphics card and rebooting. No beeps is bad; a string of beeps is good. Power off. Replace the RAM and reboot, count the beeps. Depending on your motherboard (check the manual), you will get 3 or 4 beeps including a long one - this is good as it has found there is no graphics card installed (with this board there is no onboard VGA).
Fit another graphics card if you have one - one beep confirmed your existing card as bad. Power off.
Or - replace the original graphics card and remove the RAM - you should get a string of about 6 short beeps.
I looked for the manual but could not find it on line.
Basically, use the beeps to find out what is stopping the boot.

No beeps

I put another psu in and all that is hooked up is MB, CPU, PSU. no beeps with or without ram:( what up wit dat?

Do you have a spare video card you could try?

Also, does your version of Windows require that you log in? Or if you turn your PC on and leave it... does it just boot straight into windows by itself? If so, does it play the windows welcome sound or anything? If so, you could just power the PC on, and leave it for a couple of minutes, and listen to what it does. If it sounds like its booting into windows, then its just your graphics card that died. If it doesn't, then its something else. Either your PSU/Motherboard/CPU.

It sounds like the motherboard to me. If the PSU died, its unlikely the fans would still work. And if it was the CPU, the drives would usually try to power up and then stop. If its just nothing but fans spinning though, then that sounds like the motherboard.

Fixed

It was the MB:( When i put the new board in it it kept randomly restarting 10sec to 1.5 Hrs. PSU was bad too:rolleyes: but got a new one and everything is cool! also got a 2.4 Dual Core while i was working on it any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back