Signs of a dying monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

Well a little background about my pc. I got it two or so years ago (going on three in December). Its a HP Pavilion 7965. The monitor itself says "mx 75".

Anyhow, I've never had problems with it til lately when I moved into my dorm. The screen itself tends slightly pixelate in small areas (usually a straight line across the screen). Its very hard to notice unless you're really paying attention to it. Though yesterday it sort of "had a heart attack" as my room mate called it.

I was surfing for something and the moment a site loaded the monitor began to turn off and on rapidly. It made the usual click sound it always makes whenever you turn it on or off. It didn't respond to hitting the power button on it.

My first thought was the power supply was going mad so I unplugged the monitor only and then the other plug that was next to it and then replugged it. It turned back on doing the same thing.

Then, I simply killed the entire system via my power strip and let it reboot. It didn't start doing it again so I went back to surfing.

Once again, the same site loaded and it began again. This time I managed to get it to turn off while catching it between turning off and on (when the screen was off).

I managed to close the window with the site an everything was fine. So I thought the site was the source of the problem so I sent my boyfriend the link. He said it worked fine for him.

Now what's around my montior: Just the tower, my tablet and our mini fridge is about two feet away. I don't know if the fridge could be doing anything.

I hope this is enough information. And oh yes, the link to the site I was at is this:

http://www.activoteamerica.com/TX/tx.html

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TechSpot

Since you recently moved your gear, it could be that the graphics card inside the PC has become a bit unstuck.
Switch everything off, then open the PC and check that all cards and memory are properly seated. Switch back on, see if your monitor has a Degauss-button to de-magnetise the screen. If soi, press on it and see if there is any improvement .
If the fault only occurs on that particular website, check the refresh-rate for the monitor. Rightclick anywhere on the desktop, select Properties, go to the last tab Settings, go into advanced.
Not knowing your OS or card, you should be able to find a setting for Refresh. This should be 75 or higher. "Optimal" is not good enough.

Okay, a little update.

Yes, I did switch out my monitor with my roomie's and it worked just fine. I even revisited that site.

Then I turned the refresh rate to 85 and it still did it.

:) As soon as I can find a screw driver I'll go ahead and open my baby up. I'm sure someone in our hall will have one.

Do NOT open a monitor!

Do NOT!!!

They are not the same as PCs inside. They contain real dangers.

Interesting phenomenon.. does the same happen if you use another browser, or if you disable site styles (fonts & colors) ?

I checked that website, and it uses Java heavily.

You should perhaps update or install a better version of the Java an your PC
Windows Offline Download and Installation Instructions for the Java™ 2 Rutime Environment, Standard Edition (JRE)

This article applies to:
Platform(s):
Windows NT, 98, 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000, XP, and Server 2003
Browser(s):
Internet Explorer 5.5 (SP2+), 6.x
Netscape 4.7.x, 6.2.2, 7
Mozilla 1.2.1, 1.3, 1.4, 1.4.1
JRE version(s):
1.4.2_xx (xx can be 01 - 99)

The procedure to install the JRE broadly consists of:
Download and Install
Enable and Configure
Test Installation

This process requires you to download an executable file (e.g., j2re-1_4_2_xx-windows-i586-p.exe, appx. 15 Mb size) that includes all the files needed for the complete installation. You do not need to remain connected to the Internet during the installation. The file can also be copied to a computer that is not connected to the Internet.

Windows System Requirements

System Requirements

Windows 98 (1st and 2nd edition) or

Windows ME or

Windows NT (service pack 6a) or

Windows 2000 (service pack 3) or

Windows XP Home or

Windows XP Professional (service pack 1)

Windows 2003 Server Editions

You will also need Pentium 166MHz or faster processor with a minimum of 125MB free disk space and a minimum of 32MB of RAM.

Before Installing

If you have any advertising blocking software, ensure that it does not prevent the download of the JRE. http://www.java.com/en/download/help/ad_block.jsp

Download and Install

Go to http://java.com
Click Manual Download under Get It Now.
Click Download next to Windows (Offline Installation). Dialog box: File Download
Click Save. Dialog box: Save As
Choose the folder location. (Save the file to a known location on your computer, for example, to your desktop).
Click Save. Dialog box: Save As
File j2re-1_4_2_xx-windows-i586-p.exe already exists. Do you want to replace it?
Click Yes.
Verify that the:
Name of the file is j2re-1_4_2_xx-windows-i586-p.exe
Size is approximately 14.6 MB.
Close all applications including the browser.
Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back