Silence my pc fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyhkuj

hi there. I wanted toknow how i can silence my pc fans. the sound is so loud i can barely hear myself think!! i dont know how fast it is but it's loud. do u klnow of any software or hardware that i can use to silence my fans? regards from kiyhkuj. ps that's not my real name! lol

Depends what fans, case fans you can run at lower voltages, although that would involve cutting wires (or buying a fan controller). CPU fan you can <maybe> control with something like Speedfan.

Put Your Finger in the Water, Before You Jump in....!

My first post on this issue probably wasn't inclusive enough, so I'll try to rectify that now.

Before you change the speed of any fan in your system, you should implement hardware monitoring. As SNGX1275 has posted "Speedfan", and a couple of others will do this. Most boards have hardware monitoring, and some have the software also. (IE: "Intel Desktop Utilities"). The obvious thing here is, why are they running full speed to begin with?
A fan controller panel would be the more practical solution, since you can adjust the fan speed depending on what you're doing. Surfing the web, requires a lot less CPU effort than burning a DVD.

Sometimes a case can accommodate a larger fan than the one already included. For example, you might have an 80mm case fan or fans that can be replaced with 120mm fans. Larger fans move more air with lower rpms and with lower rpms you get less noise.

As captaincranky already hinted at, something might be causing the fans to operate at high speed like overheating. You might want to open the case and clean out any dust buildup, especially around the CPU heatsink and fan and the graphics card fan (if you have one).

thnx mailpup. i've just noticed: there's LOADS of dust in the case. perhaps that's the problem. i'll look into it. and thankyou sngx1275 for the software seems to be pretty good.

If you get really desperate :D -

1.Acoustic insulation ($40 to $85):

2.Silent case ($100):

3.Gasket kits ($10 to $15):

4.Move the PC away from ears.

More HERE

On 2 of my computers I took the foam pad that comes in the motherboard box, and glued that to the inside of my side panel. Obviously you don't want to do that if you have a window, but its an option, and is lots cheaper than buying 'real' acoustic insulation.

i've just found that it's the power source of the pc that makes so much noise. what do suggest i do? can i replace the fan inside the power source or do i have to buy a new one?

The fan(s) inside the PSU are quite often soldered to the PSU board, so it would be simpler (and most likely less hazardous to your health) to buy a quieter PSU.

I recommend checking silent PSUs from SilentPCReview.

Here's The Buzzzzzzz.......

If you can hear your PSU loudly, then 1 of 2 things is likely the cause, 1; it's failing 2; it's overloaded. In either case, a new power supply is called for. I've never actually had a PSU that I considered noisy, or for that matter one I could hear over the case fans. I have 3 Antecs at the moment.

look at silentpcreview.com

you are supposed to be really cautious with the psu because the capacitors inside can hold electricity even after the psu is turned off.

I have tried to replace a fan in an Antec - when I figured out I would have to pay a fair amount (including shipping) to get a fan that was 80mm x 15 mm (instead of 25mm), I just went and got a new psu.

silentpc has a lot of info on making a quiet computer.
usually, like you havefigured out, it is mainly one loud fan that makes the difference.
noise levels of power supplies varies a lot.
antec makes a line of psu that are quiet.
also, seasonics are being carried by newegg now, so they are easier to find, and seasonics has quiet models.

Enermax makes a Noisetaker series that is pretty quiet, and you can even control the max fan speed by a rheostat thing on the back. But even at max speed you won't hear it over your hard drives.

Dell Optiplex GX280

Hi all,

My cpu fan is so loud it's beyond annoying, I would have to yell to talk over it.
I have down loaded the speedfan software,but it doesn't list Dell motherboards.
I really think that the heatsink is the real problem, but I am dealing with a proprietary system. This has made trying to correct this defect a real improbabuility. I have read all over the internet about this Dell engineering mistake and many people have the same issue, but I haven't actually come accross a fix, i.e. a link to an aftermarket hardware manufacturer (with knowledge base) that has created a heatsink that will fit in the proprietary socket and doesn't have an 1 1/2 " gap between the base of the heatsink and the heat distribution section. All pics I have seen on the internet have looked different than the one that's in my Dell pc. The main difference is that the heat sink on mine has 2 copper posts and the pics I find on the internet all have 4. I can not tell if they have a shorter gap. I would order one, but I don't want to waste money and time if it is wrong or not good enough. I have called some and they have no knowledge base, they just tell me, "I don't know we just sell the stuff". PLEASE HELP ME! ... sorry to yell, I'm going deaf with this fan so loud.

If the fan noise is that annoying just replace it, if you have any skills in modding just rip the fan out and put a new one in there, if it is the case and dell im thinking it is ie: "http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/dellgx280/gx280_2.htm" then its really easy to replace, i've replaced the main fan (theres only one) on the back in my old dell, don't bother changing the whole heat sink assembly, more work than its worth, it is only a dell.

Thank you

I know it's only a Dell, i feel the same way. I've been thinking of going back to my older computer. But if you say it's the fan, I'll have to check it out. I know the harness is different than standard for fans and no socket for standard harness on the motherboard, I'll check it out.

Again, thanks for the response

to be honest the only way to have a quiet pc is by well have a fan controller which can get messsy because there are like a trillion cables to sort out. And also insulation like SNGX advised but also look at different types of fans like noctua http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat= they are really well known to be ultra quiet so give this a shot it should do the job for you. And if u r like desperate to have a silent pc look at watercooling this works well but as every1 knows water is risky!!!!

New Motherboard

I'm picking up my new motherboard on Saterday. I think I have a lot of issues with it. I tried installing new RAM and the pc went bizerk! Time to move on...

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back