Simple Question regarding KB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this question will be easy to answer by someone with the right knowledge. I have been trying out two different Bittorrent download clients: ABC & U torrent. ABC shows the download speeds as KB/s and U torrent shows them as kB/s is there a difference? I don't need to know the technical stuff about bytes and bits (tried to understand that already) all I ask is, if one is downloading at say 40KB/s and the other at 40kB/s which is quicker? Thank You.

Well, many, many people can't tell the difference between b and B, k and K so it may just be the ignorance of the people who wrote the programs..

Basically, k means the decimal kilo (1000), K means the binary kilo (1024). So, assuming that someone knowingly used these letters, 40.0KB/s is 2.4% faster than 40.0kB/s. See the .0? If you say just 40, then the 2.4% is rounded off, so there is no way to tell whether one is faster than the other :)

zipperman said:
No,It's not like useing a password.Just a typist choice.Both mean
Killobytes per second.
maybe; maybe not. depends upon the writer.

Oh, never mind, I'm wrong. k and K, as Nodsu said, determine whether it's binary or decimal kilo. B and b determine whether it is bytes or bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back