Simple Reformat Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisirko

Hey guys, I recently bought a bunch of new pc parts and I want to put them together with as few problems as possible. The only drawback now is that I have a HD with a bunch of stuff on it already. Its from my old E-machine. I have a brand new OEM XP Home edition cd waiting to be installed, but I want a fresh HD to put it on. Can any body help me simply reformat my HD without using the xp cd, or point me to a guide or tuturial. Thanks.

Just install the HD, boot the XP cd, and delete the partition.

Then install XP.

'Can any body help me simply reformat my HD without using the xp cd, or point me to a guide or tuturial.'

This is simply a clean install of XP - if you are using that OLD HD it doesn't matter, part of the install is an erase/format of the old partition.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t187028.html

well i have a new asus MB and an AMD processor, and Im using this HD that came with my old emachine. So if i take the old HD, CD drives, and put them with the new MB and CPU, all i have to do is put the xp cd in and follow along. I tried that and it wasnt booting from the cd :(

If you bought an Asus mobo, then it has a manual - they tell you how to set boot priority and everything else.

You have to have the cd/dvd as first boot device to have it boot the cd -

Read it!

:)

See if this helps.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd drive.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

Regards Howard :)

Edit: I have deleted your other thread for this subject. Please continue to post in this thread, until your problem is resolved. Thanks.

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" I did what was instructed and got to step 5. The quoted is what my screen read. Ive checked my cables and went in and changed the bios settings. If you have any idea lemmie know, if not im sure ill find a thread. thanks so much for the step by step.

i see that my primary IDE master is not detected, along with the slaves and secondary, etc...

Make sure all drives have the correct jumper settings. Also check that all ide cables are connected to the correct ide channels on the mobo.

You`re not using a sata hard drive are you?

Regards Howard :)

All fixed, there were some problems with my cd drives not being detected...I have two and they were both plugged in. I unplugged one of them and just reconnected the main one to the MB, all works fine now the steps given worked perfectly and there are no more problems. Thanks for your help howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back